COMLEX qbank necessary in full?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

t5Nitro

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you that have taken both exams, did you find it necessary to do comlex questions from COMBANK or is it sufficient to simply do the specific OMM questions from that Qbank and rely on step 1 qbanks to cover the rest of the material?

Folks at my school say that you just read the green book the week between tests and it's good enough? No qbank? Just trying to best optimize my time until the examinations.

Members don't see this ad.

For those of you that have taken both exams, did you find it necessary to do comlex questions from COMBANK or is it sufficient to simply do the specific OMM questions from that Qbank and rely on step 1 qbanks to cover the rest of the material?

Folks at my school say that you just read the green book the week between tests and it's good enough? No qbank? Just trying to best optimize my time until the examinations.
The explanations kind of suck and the content isn't as good as UWORLD, but the question style is drastically different between the two tests and I feel like COMBANK does a decent job replicating the style of the COMLEX.

Reactions: 1 user

Combank is a waste of time. Do UWorld + Savarese instead. Goes for both Level 1 and Level 2.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The explanations kind of suck and the content isn't as good as UWORLD, but the question style is drastically different between the two tests and I feel like COMBANK does a decent job replicating the style of the COMLEX.

Agreed. Combank isn't great for learning, but I know completing it helped me prepare for the COMLEX question style.

Sounds good, thanks for the feedback. I might put in 20 questions/d from COMBANK with my primary goal of getting accustomed to the question style. I think I have a decent understanding of the topics outside of OMM related questions.

Is the actual level 1 as easy (straight recall) and short-stemmed as what is presented in COMBANK? Seems to be unrealistic.

Last edited:
Is the actual level 1 as easy (straight recall) and short-stemmed as what is presented in COMBANK? Seems to be unrealistic.
Not really, some stems can be pretty long.

I've always been about questions. I just like hitting as many as possible, i did them usmlerx, u world, combank. UWORLD by the far best source. For step 1 i spread myself too thin with resources i feel like. Going back, i would have only used uworld, savarese, and FA. I don't even think i would have used pathoma for step 1. maybe. i remember when i took usmle step 1 there was only 1-2 questions i could attribute getting right thanks to pathoma. I think i would have hit world several time and did every single nbme looking up explanations. My real usmle was crazy harder than all of those tho. My comlex step 1 was basically weird obscure stuff, super nitpicky.

for step 2, i studied for shelfs and did uworld+combank for step 2 multiple times each, and conquest (only because our school gave it to us for free). I did really well on my step 2, scoring in mid 600s. i didnt really use a book, but i did use MTB and onlinemeded for shelves..

I've always been about questions. I just like hitting as many as possible, i did them usmlerx, u world, combank. UWORLD by the far best source. For step 1 i spread myself too thin with resources i feel like. Going back, i would have only used uworld, savarese, and FA. I don't even think i would have used pathoma for step 1. maybe. i remember when i took usmle step 1 there was only 1-2 questions i could attribute getting right thanks to pathoma. I think i would have hit world several time and did every single nbme looking up explanations. My real usmle was crazy harder than all of those tho. My comlex step 1 was basically weird obscure stuff, super nitpicky.

for step 2, i studied for shelfs and did uworld+combank for step 2 multiple times each, and conquest (only because our school gave it to us for free). I did really well on my step 2, scoring in mid 600s. i didnt really use a book, but i did use MTB and onlinemeded for shelves..
Similar to what I've been doing I think. I did those qbanks in that same order. Started 2nd pass of UW. I think UW preps you more than enough. The question style is just so much different in combank.

Did you take any comsae outside of a school-issued form? I thought about taking at least 1. I want to get through all the NBMEs though and the 2nd UWSA. Time crunch.