COMLEX score conversion to USMLE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Calistudent

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a rough idea of what a COMLEX score of 532 (or 67th percentile) would be equal to in USMLE numbers?

Members don't see this ad.

Probably the 67%ile in the USMLE.

There really isn't a conversion. A good score on the COMLEX is roughly equal to a good score on the USMLE. I didn't take the USMLE and got aout half my applications back with an interview. I knew a girl from Touro that took both and got about 75%.

Q, DO

On this year's usmle step 1 the mean was 217 with a standard deviation of 21 (or something close to that). If the two tests are statistically equivalent, you would be about 1 standard deviation above the mean (i.e. 67th %ile), equating to 238.

Members don't see this ad :)
On this year's usmle step 1 the mean was 217 with a standard deviation of 21 (or something close to that). If the two tests are statistically equivalent, you would be about 1 standard deviation above the mean (i.e. 67th %ile), equating to 238.

Attempting to compare percentiles on the COMLEX and USMLE is really meaningless. The fact is, the level of competition is much greater on the USMLE. This is probably related to the fact that allopathic schools have much higher entrance requirments, MCAT scores, etc.

Some purely anecdotal evidence: Most people at my school who scored 99% on the COMLEX and then took the USMLE got scores between 235 and 240. These are strong numbers, but nowhere near 99%.

More anecdotal evidence... knew a student who matched EM outside the match scored 99% on COMLEX and 260 on USMLE.

Q, DO

Originally posted by coldsteel

Just to add, the mean on step 1 is always shifting (higher). PDs and admissions committee go by 2 digit score (despite not understanding what it truly represents).