ThurmanMcMurman

7+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2009
Status
Does anyone know what is considered competitive on the Comlex for AOA ophthalmology programs?
I scored a very average 217 on the USMLE, and a 591 on the COMLEX. I plan on taking the USMLE step 2 early ( though, can someone clarify how early I need to be thinking to get those scores in before the match? sorry, dumb question I know), but seeing as my comlex is above average, I thought I might have better luck in the AOA match.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Jul 9, 2009
Status
Does anyone know what is considered competitive on the Comlex for AOA ophthalmology programs?
I scored a very average 217 on the USMLE, and a 591 on the COMLEX. I plan on taking the USMLE step 2 early ( though, can someone clarify how early I need to be thinking to get those scores in before the match? sorry, dumb question I know), but seeing as my comlex is above average, I thought I might have better luck in the AOA match.
There is no general consensus as to what comlex scores make you competitive for the DO programs. Obviously they're kinda useless for allo programs...

I do know that AOA residencies will, in general, only interview people who rotate through their institution. This holds true for most competitive DO residencies including derm, rads, etc.

Try to do some 2 week rotations (should be enough to get an interview) at programs you're interested in. Since there are ony 11 programs (I think) spend a month split at 2 that you like, or more as you see fit. Good luck, its a sh*tty process ;)