COMLEX scores residency directors are looking for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreambig2night

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What kind of COMLEX scores are residency directors looking for if I want to match into:

IM?
EM?
FM?
GSurg?
PMR?
Psych?

I got a COMLEX (two digit) score of 81

Members don't see this ad.

What kind of COMLEX scores are residency directors looking for if I want to match into:

IM?
EM?
FM?
GSurg?
PMR?
Psych?

What kind of residency are you looking for -- MD or DO? If the former, then you can pretty much cross out GS from that list. It's not impossible but very difficult with just a COMLEX score esp since you didn't score very high. Oh well, what's done is done. Just study really hard for COMLEX-II.

With the other fields you shouldnt have too many problems if you apply wide including community programs, esp FM and Psych. IM and PM&R are a mixed bag.

Hopefully by the end of 3rd year you'll be able to narrow down this big ass list. G'luck!

IM?
EM?
FM?
GSurg?
PMR?
Psych?

you are competitive for probably only
PSYCH
FM
IM
and maybe, just maybe Gsurg

Members don't see this ad :)
I posted in another COMLEX forum. But honestly all I did was email people at programs and flat out asked them what type of score was needed. Aside from the usual "we look beyond the numbers" 1/5 programs or so would tell me what the average or cutoff was.

how about PM&R? Do they generaly require a higher than average performance on boards?
I heard I need to do a traditional osteopathic internship for it. So do I apply for a traditional internship and apply for a PM&R residency at the same time when I apply for prgorams?

thanks!

how about PM&R? Do they generaly require a higher than average performance on boards?
I heard I need to do a traditional osteopathic internship for it. So do I apply for a traditional internship and apply for a PM&R residency at the same time when I apply for prgorams?

thanks!

You do apply for both spots during your 4th year of med school. The majority of PM&R programs start at the PGY-2 year (ie directly after an internship) and accept applicants over a full year in advance for those spots. It's a pretty smooth process overall except for finding the time to interview at both internships and residency programs.

Regarding scores.... There is a rather large dichotomy b/w the top/very good programs and the mediocre/weak programs in both competitiveness and quality of training. Therefore, the scores generally needed in the former category range from around average to high 90's....with the latter being on the opposite end. The low Step 1 avg you see reported for the field is predominately a factor of this. Also, the relatively low number of spots available (<400/yr) and programs heavily weighting personality and true interest in the field make it somewhat more competitive then it appears based solely on numbers.

If you want some more info I would highly suggest that you check out the PM&R forum on SDN.

Hope that helps

Is 680/94 enough for Rads??
I don't know about rads specifically, but I imagine it would be for a DO rads program as it's > then 2 sd's over the mean. If you are talking about an allopathic rads program, then that's a whole other discussion and probably best suited for the Rads forum

I don't know about rads specifically, but I imagine it would be for a DO rads program as it's > then 2 sd's over the mean. If you are talking about an allopathic rads program, then that's a whole other discussion and probably best suited for the Rads forum

My bind is that I have 680/94 comlex-I and 246/99 usmle-I. I m trying to decide whether to enter allopathic or osteopathic rads match or both???.. Its difficult since there is not much info that i can find about DO's who successfully matched allopathic radiology residencies

IM?
EM?
FM?
GSurg?
PMR?
Psych?

or you can still take your USMLE Step-1 and try to score above the avg ranges for your desired fields.

My bind is that I have 680/94 comlex-I and 246/99 usmle-I. I m trying to decide whether to enter allopathic or osteopathic rads match or both???.. Its difficult since there is not much info that i can find about DO's who successfully matched allopathic radiology residencies

Don't do both, i been advised against it given that you have solid scores in both the exams. You will be withdrawn from the allopathic match if you match at a DO program. However if you stronly feel like the osteopathic program you are interested in is quite spectacular similar to your other choices in allopathic world..then go ahead and do both. I like to hear more opinions on this issue though...

Don't do both, i been advised against it given that you have solid scores in both the exams. You will be withdrawn from the allopathic match if you match at a DO program. However if you stronly feel like the osteopathic program you are interested in is quite spectacular similar to your other choices in allopathic world..then go ahead and do both. I like to hear more opinions on this issue though...
VERY bad advice. You would be wise to look into DO rad spots if you are interested in radiology. The more options you have, the better shape you are. Most of them are excellent environments to learn learn in. And unlike general surgery, you can pursue any fellowship afterwards. Besides, its not as if you have to rank an osteo spot after applying there.

VERY bad advice. You would be wise to look into DO rad spots if you are interested in radiology. The more options you have, the better shape you are. Most of them are excellent environments to learn learn in. And unlike general surgery, you can pursue any fellowship afterwards. Besides, its not as if you have to rank an osteo spot after applying there.

I respect your difference of opinion, but i agree to disagree about your assumptions. The main assumption here is that this particular applicant has a fair amount of options? Well his dilemma is infact 2 good scores that can help him match in both worlds..however when it comes down to his desirable program which very well could be allopathic or osteopathic will ultimately make the decision. In such a scenario, i proposed the idea of keeping it to one side of the world..why? because he has 2 good scores indicating a higher chance of matching at an osteopathic and allopathic rad programs. So if OP wanted to go into the allopathic program he would unfortunately be withdrawn. Also i want to hear a number on how many Radiology spots there are in the osteopathic world before everyone assumes a good score will give you tons of options. While there are way more allopathic rad programs and i would think given a good score you have a fair shot at many of those programs..and also keep in mind location is a big factor for many applicants!!!

Members don't see this ad :)

I agree with Terpskins on this one. Radiology is/can be tough with the amount of available spots for the PGY-1 year in DO programs. I am at a DO program and there were 23 available first year spots when I was interviewing (3 @ my program). This year, my program only has 1 available position. So, for 2010, I know the CA program will be opening and will have 1 or 2 spots, but that's still a small amount. There are a lot more MD programs and spots.

What I would do is enter both matches and see how many interviews you get whether DO or MD. See how each program is and make your list. You never know. If in the end you had 3 DO interviews and 10 MD interviews and you like the MD programs better, then the answer is already there - drop out of the osteo match before the deadline. If however, you liked 1 or 2 DO programs better than some of the MD programs, your situation becomes a little more difficult.

Your scores are good for rads so just apply to both. It is getting more competitive and you wouldn't want to limit yourself. Good luck.

Agree. When I was interviewing/deciding between DO and MD EM programs, my solution was to choose the #1 DO program that I inteviewed at, and as I made my ROL for the MD programs, if that #1 DO program would have been #1-2 in a combined ROL, I would stay in the DO match, ranking *only* that one program and be happy if I matched there. The number of MD interviews also was a factor. Had I not had more than 10 MD interviews, I would worry that I would run right down the ROL and not match.

As it turned out, the DO program would have been #3 in a combined ROL - not because of the program, per se, but the required length of all DO EM programs- 4 years. I wanted to be out in 3 years. So that dropped it down enough that it didn't make it #1-2. So I withdrew from the DO match. I think I still would have been absolutely happy there, but it was the only way to settle the DO/MD match question, and take advantage of both matches without losing my mind.

In retrospect, had I known what a competitive year EM was going to be my year - only 7 open spots post-match, I think I would have hedged my bets and stayed in the DO match. *shrug*

what do you need for a DO Rads or Derm program? any clue?

depends on the program. i had a friend match into DO rads (pre-matched actually) and his comlex score was just around average. but he rotated at 2 programs and the one he matched at told him that they look at whether he'd be a good fit with them and the other outright told him his comlex score was too low. so its good to ask

It seems everyone is saying that with 600+, you should easily get any AOA residency. Am I going to need something else exceptional on my application to be in pretty good shape to obtain a competitive residency (ei ortho, neurosurg, ENT, ...), besides just rotating there?

Anyone knows what kind of score you need to get interviews at competitive programs without having to do an outside rotation?

Thanks for the feedback

Last edited:
For crying out loud man, your posting in multiple threads because you are freakin out about 11 pts on the comlex? The difference between a 589 and 600? That's like freakin out about a 33 as opposed to 34 MCAT. Do you really think that is a huge difference? Your options are fine, relax. If you freak out this much during the interview, that is going to hurt you far more than 11 freakin points.

Only 2 threads. First wrote in one than thought the 2nd thread be a more appropriate place. When people say 600+ for the most competitive programs, their average may be 650 which in that case makes it more than 11 points difference. Didn't mean for you to think I was freaking out but was just trying to be prepared since I'm only a 3rd year and I still have time to make changes if necessary (not sure what specialty I want yet). Thanks for the feedback though

Last edited:
Is there any way to know what COMLEX scores a particular residency requires in order to be competitive. I know there are numerous publications that give average COMLEX Step 1 scores for various specialties, but is that typical across the board or do certain, more prestigious residencies, require higher than average scores?

--Sean