COMLEX scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joshua_msu

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering which DO schools have below average pass rates for first time COMLEX takers. Which school has the lowest as well?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't know which school has the lowest scores, but studies have shown that there is a correlation between problem-based learning curriculums and low board scores. Schools that tend to use A LOT of problem-based learning end up producing excellent clinicians with good clinical problem-solving abilities, but in so doing their students must miss a lot of the tiny, meaningless facts that board exams typically test on.

In my opinion (and this is only my opinion), the best option is a balance between traditional and problem-based learning curriculums. Then you get the best of both worlds, without sacrificing your board scores.

SawBones,

I am interested in doing a PBL pathway next year in medical school. Anyways, I would be interested in reading about the study that correlated PBL with low board scores....where did you get this information?

Members don't see this ad :)
I took part in a curriculum committee meeting during my second year of medical school at which a couple of studies were referenced about PBL and poor performance on board examinations. I guess I would be more accurate if I were to say that there is controversy over whether or not PBL truly hurts board scores (meaning: you'll find data to support either side of the argument). I did a quick search to see what has been published on the matter more recently, and it appears that more evidence in pointing in favor of PBL, but the matter is far from settled.

It seems that many of the negative studies were published 10-12 years ago, so perhaps we?ve improved PBL to the extent that board performance is now equal to (or higher than) traditional curriculums. I think many schools are settling for a balance between the two curriculum formats, in order to "play it safe."

Anyway, here?s some of the articles that I came across:

Comparative achievement on National Dental Board Examination Part I between dental students in problem-based learning and traditional educational tracks.
Shuler CF - J Dent Educ - 01-Sep-1998; 62(9): 666-70

Aldred, M. J. and Aldred, S. E. (1998). Problem-based learning: the good, the bad, and the ugly. J Dent Educ 62: 650-655.
UI: 99005917

Aldred, S. E., Aldred, M. J., Walsh, L. J., and Dick, B. (1998). Implementing problem-based learning into professional and dental education. J Dent Educ 62: 644-649.
UI: 99005916

Alleyne, T., Shirley, A., Bennett, C., Addae, J., Walrond, E., West, S., and Pinto, P. L. (2002). Problem-based compared with traditional methods at the Faculty of Medical Sciences, University of the West Indies: a model study. Medical Teacher 24: 273-279.
UI: 12098413

Antepohl, W. and Herzig, S. (1999). Problem-based learning versus lecture-based learning in a course of basic pharmacology: a controlled, randomized study. Medical Education 33: 106-113.
UI: 10211260

Blake, R. L., Hosokawa, M. C., and Riley, S. L. (2000). Student performances on Step 1 and Step 2 of the United States Medical Licensing Examination following implementation of a problem-based learning curriculum. Acad Med 75: 66-70.
UI: 20129341

Enarson, C. and Cariaga-Lo, L. (2001). Influence of curriculum type on student performance in the United States Medical Licensing Examination Step 1 and Step 2 exams: problem-based learning vs. lecture-based curriculum. Medical Education 35: 1050-1055.
UI: 11703641

Kaufman, D. M. and Mann, K. V. (1998). Comparing achievement on the Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Examination Part I of students in conventional and problem-based learning curricula. Acad Med 73: 1211-1213.
UI: 99051772

Mennin, S. P., Friedman, M., Skipper, B., Kalishman, S., and Snyder, J. (1993). Performances on the NBME I, II, and III by medical students in the problem-based learning and conventional tracks at the University of New Mexico [see comments]. Acad Med 68: 616-624.
UI: 93356905

Thanks for the info...I will definitely check some of those articles out!