COMLEX, USMLE and ACGME

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TDizzle

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just for the AOA match, obviously.

However, if you match ACGME you are knocked out of the osteo match.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any reason AOA programs would see your USMLE score?

Any reason AOA programs would see your USMLE score?

AOA programs only ask for your COMLEX and you only have to submit that. I believe you can optionally disclose your USMLE.

You don't *need* the USMLE for ACGME programs. At least not all of them. I imagine many (prob not most) require it, but know of plenty that absolutely accept just the COMLEX. But nearly all would prefer the USMLE if I were to extrapolate out.

do you know if acgme programs convert our comlex scores to usmle, or do they just compare our comlex scores to other DO's who have taken it?

My question was if I was only going for the ACGME match would I even need to report my COMLEX score? Hypothetically just say I score a 425 on comlex but a 245 on the USMLE, by applying to only ACGME programs do I need to report my 425.

No. You can submit just your USMLE. And truthfully it's a lot easier to score highly on the COMLEX than the USMLE. If you could get a 245 on USMLE, you'll spank the COMLEX.

do you know if acgme programs convert our comlex scores to usmle, or do they just compare our comlex scores to other DO's who have taken it?

Depends on the place. Some programs know how to interpret COMLEX scores, some don't, and some may use that formula from JAOA that (IMO) under represents what you could have gotten on the USMLE.

I applied to ACGME EM this year and took COMLEX and USMLE. I submitted USMLE to all of them and had a number of program directors comment that they appreciated that I took and submitted USMLE so that they could accurately compare me to my allopathic counterparts. And some of those were places that accepted COMLEX in place of USMLE.

.... And truthfully it's a lot easier to score highly on the COMLEX than the USMLE. If you could get a 245 on USMLE, you'll spank the COMLEX.

That's a generalization that I would be careful about using. I know a number of people who did exceptionally well on USLME and poorly on COMLEX. They are two very different tests, and the results do not always correlate very well.

That's a generalization that I would be careful about using. I know a number of people who did exceptionally well on USLME and poorly on COMLEX. They are two very different tests, and the results do not always correlate very well.

The results should though. They are different in ways that *to most people* make the comlex more straightforward.

not so much "easier". But definitely "straight forward".

The biggest difference between COMLEX and USMLE (besides the inclusion of OMM in COMLEX) is that 1) COMLEX questions generally give you all the findings likely to be seen, rather than the USMLE giving you just a handful. This is often for the purpose of leaving out some common ones to make it less obvious. And 2) the COMLEX will use "catch phrases" like 'rose spots' while the USMLE will almost always never use them. They will define what these catch phrase findings look like.