Comlex USMLE conversion. Is taking the USMLE the best choice for the average DO student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrChance2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The is the best conversion estimator I could find.

http://www.jgme.org/doi/abs/10.4300/JGME-D-13-00302.1
Step 1
  =  0.2392 × COMLEX-USA Level 1 + 82.563 (R2  =  0.69577)

Plugging in an average COMLEX score:

"beginning in May 2015, the mean score for Level 1 first time candidates is approximately 520 and the standard deviation is approximately 85."
http://www.nbome.org/score-release.asp

.2392 X 520 COMLEX + 82.563 = 207

Does a 207 USMLE (bottom 20%) really look better than an average COMLEX to residency directors?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't gamble your future on some conversion formula. Study hard and take the USMLE.
That is the kind of generalized advice that ends up getting osteopathic medical students failed USMLE's.

Better advice would be to study hard as if you were going to take the USMLE, sign up for the USMLE, and then take some NBME's in the months and weeks leading up to the actual exam. If it looks like you're going to fail, then it would be a poor decision to try to take it expecting a magical score boost.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What are people's thoughts on a cut off wheather to take it or not? is it really worth it to get a 210?

What are people's thoughts on a cut off wheather to take it or not? is it really worth it to get a 210?

I'd say no. Well, the reasons one would take the USMLE are to get residency at an academic hospital, or for something competitive, or for the location, and etc. S/he will be competing with MD students who will have an average or a crazily high USMLE score. 220+ would be the be the cut off for me and I believe everyone should aim at anything above 230.

Last edited:
You could also not take the USMLE

Reactions: 1 user
I am not interested in anesthesia anymore, but I was for a bit and looking at gas residencies, there was 1 program that said that they required a 200+ USMLE score or a 550+ COMLEX. So yes, some programs would rather have a below average USMLE than an above average COMLEX.

Strongly agree with GUH's assessment.

Also consider how well you are doing as a student in OMSI and II. We find that our better students can handle USMLE, but our poorer students do, well, poorly. So if you're in the latter camp, do not engage in wishful thinking.

Keep in mind that COMLEX and USMLE are two very different animals.

If there are a lot of AOA residencies in your region, then you can probably dispense with USMLE Step I. My students don't have that luxury, and the majority of them want to to stay close to home as well, so most of them take Step I and II. Again, the worse off ones can make do with Step II. Actually, my students tend to look at COMLEX as an annoyance to get out of the way before tackling USMLE.

If you look at the more competitive ACGME specialties, more PDs are willing to accept COMLEX II as a licensing exam over COMLEX I.

That is the kind of generalized advice that ends up getting osteopathic medical students failed USMLE's.

Better advice would be to study hard as if you were going to take the USMLE, sign up for the USMLE, and then take some NBME's in the months and weeks leading up to the actual exam. If it looks like you're going to fail, then it would be a poor decision to try to take it expecting a magical score boost.

Prep for the USMLE, it really is virtually the same as prepping for COMLEX.

If I were doing it again, I'd do the same as I did the first time. I'd decide early on whether or not I would be taking USMLE. Then I'd study accordingly.

If you are planning to take the USMLE. That should be your focus. The COMLEX is all but an afterthought; you just need to pass, but you will more than pass if you're truly ready for a strong showing on USMLE.

Reactions: 1 user
Schools already hammer OMM into your head for 2 years, you only need a couple days to review it.

Reactions: 2 users
Actually, my students tend to look at COMLEX as an annoyance to get out of the way before tackling USMLE.

Do most of your students take the COMLEX first and then the USMLE? At my school most students seemed to do it the other way around. I've heard justifications for both so I'm just curious.

Most students: USMLE -> COMLEX

At-risk students: COMLEX only (or so we encourage them). Foolish ones proceed at their own risk.

Do most of your students take the COMLEX first and then the USMLE? At my school most students seemed to do it the other way around. I've heard justifications for both so I'm just curious.