Comment about attitudes.......

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrBob

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
....those of you who have followed the threads about "PA to MD" and "Let's all grow up", et al will notice that there has been a great deal of comment about who is smarter, who has a harder time in school, who may have earned their degrees at what ever cost, how much my school/training is harder than yours, ad nauseum........

I would like to comment about attitudes of medical practitioners in general.
It often amazes me how arrogant my collegues can be. when I say collegues I consider my self a collegue to MD's, PA's, Nurses, NP's DO and Pods (the entire team) I am often embarassed by the aloofness that folk that do this job have. Belittleing nursing staff, sniping at practitioners that they either percieve themselves to be better than or are of different national origin, etc. This dialogue could go on forever but a point I would like to make is the same one I've made to near nausea.......

When you finally get outta school.......be a human. No one gave you a degree to be God. You are a person just like the rest of us and when you allow others to be a part of your life and practice you will gain much more respect than if you DEMAND anything. Keep a picture in your mind of the biggest assh*le senior resident or attending you may have run across and occasionally inventory yourself and see if you can find any of that persons qualities in you. if you do then it is time to readjust your attitude.
Be firm but do not be afraid to ask others for advice.

I wish all of you young students the very best luck in what you do...just treat each other like you wanna be treated.......

Now...I believe I will let this topic rest..everyone who has read any of the threads knows my position on this....'nuff said

Good luck to all of you.......

Members don't see this ad.

MrBob, I truly hope that I one day have the priviledge (sp?) of working with you. Your views are so down to earth and uplifting. If I survive my PA program (fingers crossed) I would love to be a colleague of yours one day. Keep up the great attitude and sharing your wisdom. Some of us actually listen and learn from the experience of others. Thanks again.

I wish that we all could just realize that our attitudes towards our collegues affects the care we give to our patients. They are what are important, and to even begin to argue or better yet, have a discussion about which profession is better than the other does a disservice to them. I work with cancer patients and they have given me a new outlook on life. The important things to them like living long enough to hear the birds sing in the spring make me think about all of the things that irk me and how irrelevant they are. I just think that when a patient comes to see me, they are putting trust in me that I am going to help them and I just see that trust being shattered if they only knew that there was constant bickering over who is better than who. I think that is just sad. So, I hope that this forum for PAs can just drop this whole deal and start talking about things relavant to our careers because the only thing we are doing is making us look like fools amongst everyone else.

Well, Stayce, I appreciate the accolades and pat on the back, but to be honest with you, I have been one of those ass's......I remember being so full of myself that I thought I could toss a chart in the ER....thought myself so important that I could talk down to a nurse in the OR...you know the scenario....and it took 21 years of practice, a failed marriage and the gift of God to be given the opportunity to work in a community like Mayberry in North Carolina and be given the privilege of taking care of the same people that are my friends and family to show me how things really are. Got married in this community and found an overloaded church filled with friends and patients (better than 300) to make me realize that life is more than a title.

I can't remember all the folks I owe apologies to.

You and I aren't anything without our family, friends and patients.

So I could do this forever...but I am not a perfect person by any chance. I just hope perhaps one student will learn from an old dogs lessons. This old dog has many scars on his ears and coat from past dogfights.......Maybe salvage his/her relationship with someone or another collegue. Maybe this is my albatross....
As I said in another thread...I came to this forum to offer old advice...that's all....nothin' scientific...no tables or graphs....jsut sit on the front porch with my banjo on my lap ( a bluegrass picker) offering a bit of advice if it's wanted and quiet listening to those who may need that.......that's what I offer to you students if I can do it....if not...it's time to go back to the Harley forum and listen to 'em bitch about Jap bikes (or whatever)

BTW...you will survive...and be great at it...just watch and see.....