Comments on this list??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

synonomous18

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody... I was just wondering if anybody could comment on this list that I have put together. I am trying to figure out where to submit my application for categorical medicine. I want to be at a university hospital. I have good board scores, good 3rd year grades, rank, and letters, but no research (only in undergrad). Here is the list I have come up with. Any and all input appreciated.

Not in any order...

Yale
GW
Georgetown
Northwestern
UoChicago
UoIllinois
Hopkins bayview
Hopkins
Duke
Dartmouth
Albert Einstein (NY)
Mt. Sinai (NY)
Columbia
Cornell
NYU
Case
Cleveland Clinic
UPitt
Thomas Jefferson
Penn
Brown
UVA
UofWashington

I'm not sure if I have all "reach" schools or a good mix. Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at ~1/3 of those programs, didn't apply to about 1/3 of them and either blew off or was blown off by the remaining 1/3. I had decent boards, AOA and a PhD. Assuming you have mostly H/HP, a 2 digit board score >87 or so (I can never remember my 3 digit scores) and good LORs, you should get interviews at >1/2 of those places and should be a decent candidate at many of them.

IMHO you have a good mix of reach programs (Hopkins, Duke, Columbia, Penn), excellent programs (Mt. Sinai, Cornell, NYU, Pitt, Brown, UW, UofC) and good programs that will be easier to get into for one reason or another (Einstein/Monte, Bayview, Dartmouth, Case). TJ falls into the "one of these things is not like the other" category on that list but YMMV.

BE (now PE)

I'm in the same boat in that I'm looking at competitive academic residencies. I want to have a good mix of reach schools and a few safety schools. I've met with various people at my school these past two weeks, and here's their take on my list (with the ones on you list first). Bear in mind that this is just the opinion of a few people and does not comment on quality:

Group A: Very Competitive
Hopkins
BWH
MGH
UCSF
Stanford

Group B: Not as Competitive
Penn
Northwestern
UoChicago
UofWashington
Mayo - Roch
WashU
UWashington
UMinnesota

Group C: not schools I'm looking seriously at or schools for which I've gotten a mixed response, so I have no idea
Yale
GW
Georgetown
UoIllinois
Hopkins bayview
Duke
Dartmouth
Albert Einstein (NY)
Mt. Sinai (NY)
Columbia
Cornell
NYU
Case
Cleveland Clinic
UPitt
Thomas Jefferson
Brown
UVA
BID
UMichigan
UColorado

After reviewing my list to yours, it looks like only one school falls on your list falls into the "Group A" category - Hopkins. So my categorization is likely not too helpful. Sorry