Comments on UC Davis PM&R Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ligament

Interventional Pain Management
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

I've heard some good things about the UC Davis PM&R Residency. Unfortunately, I have not talked to enough people familiar with the program. Anybody wish to comment on it?

Feel free to give your unreserved opinion.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I highly recommend the program...Brian Davis is excellent...go to scutwork.com for insight...it would be one of my top choices, if I had to do it over again

Do you happen to have any specific reasons you like the program? The reviews on scutwork are medstudent reviews and not very useful....

Please elaborate if possible.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was asked by one of the SDN members to comment on the UCD PM&R Residency program - I am very appreciative to 'prefontaine' for mentioning my name and giving positive info about our program. We have, what I believe, to be one of the most well-rounded programs in the US. We do have a heavy out-patient/ musculoskeletal program, but make certain that the basics of stroke, SCI, head injury, amputee, burn, etc. are covered extensively, but not excessively.

Our residents have been exceptional. They have great work ethic and are very sharp. They teach the med students like they were attendings. I think that the attendings and the Chair really take an interest in the students and residents, and try to resolve issues wherever possible.

Several of the attendings are nationally reknowned (Craig McDonald - Pediatrics, NMD, EMG; Dave Kilmer [Chair] - NMD, EMG; and Mark Wineinger - NMD). Two of us are active in the Sports Medicine community at all levels and work with professional basketball (Sacramento Monarchs), professional baseball (Sacramento Rivercats, Oakland As Triple A affiliate), professional boxing, collegiate sports (UC Davis), elite track and field (US T&F events - national and local), elite amateur disabled swimming (National Disability Sports Alliance - national and international), and elite amateur boxing (USA Boxing - national and international).

If you would like to learn more about the program, please feel free to call 916-734-5292 and talk to Pat Setje, our coordinator for residency. I'd be glad to answer any questions, as well.

Brian Davis

Hi Dr. Davis,

Welcome to SDN! There's an evolving interest in PM&R among medical students and I've heard that PM&R did very well in the match this year. I've also heard that applications were up at top programs by as much as 15-20%. Is this your experience?

Also, how's the interventional pain training at Davis? Is there a fellowship? Is it run through PM&R or Anesthesia? Are their good working relationships? How much exposure to procedures to the residents get?

What kind of PM&R research opportunities are available through UC Davis? Has the program ever sponsored a resident in the AAP's K-12 program?

Dear drusso and other thread-followers:

I unfortunately will not be able to check back onto this thread often as I have a number of other current large committments that will make it difficult to do so. Please feel free to call UCD PM&R and get my home e-mail and we can probably 'chat' at greater length.

To answer the questions that drusso posted:
1. PM&R has fluctuated in its popularity. I believe that the applicant group this year was exceptionally strong, but those strong candidates typically concentrate their efforts on the strong programs. This unfortunately leaves some mediocre applicants for the mediocre programs. You guessed it - all programs eventually will fill their spots, regardless of their quality/ training. I don't know about the exact numbers, but know that the NRMP, AAP and possibly the AAPM&R follow those statistics.
2. The interventional portion of our program has improved dramatically just over the last year. We now have a rotation (1 month or 2?) for residents with Pain Management, specifically doing procedures (for good or bad - you probably don't want to hear my diatribe on this). In our clinics, we also do a fair amount of shoulder, knee, hand and ankle injections when indicated and residents become very proficient at nerve blocks and motor point blocks for spasticity.
3. A pain fellowship is offered by UCD through Anesthesiology, but it has two PM&R faculty on staff (me and Dr. Gagan Mahajan - he's very good). I am currently working with Family Practice to set up a joint PM&R-Fam Prac Sports/ Musculoskeletal fellowship (probably 1 PM&R and one Fam Prac fellow per year).
4. The working relationship between PM&R and Anesthesiology/ Pain Management is excellent.
5. Research is now a requirement at UCD. All faculty are doing research. The list of projects is availbale from Pat (number posted above), but may not be completely updated. There is bench-work as well as clinical work present in our immediate department, in exercise physiology and collaboration is very easy, as we have very strong relationships with about 95% of the other UCD departments.
6. I cannot comment on the K-12, as I am not very familiar with the program. I would hope that Pat would either know the answer or could find out.

Hope these answer your questions.

Again, for those more interested in the UCD PM&R program, call Pat (916-734-5292), visit my website: http://www.ucdsportsspine.salu.net (it has a link to UCD PM&R web page), or go to the PM&R website through http://rrtc.ucdavis.edu/pm&r.

Brian Davis