Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Commercial Prep Courses

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Md 2b In TN, Oct 16, 2001.

1. Md 2b In TN

7+ Year Member

Hey I'm wondering about you guys that did well and those who didn't. Who all took prep classes, what where you scores, and dod you think it helped?

2. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

I took the Kaplan class but I didn't really feel prepared for the April test, so I postponed taking the test until August. Signed up for the class again (only a nominal fee if you've taken the class recently) , but didn't go to the classes, just used their materials and practice tests. The key is practice tests! I didn't do enough when I was taking the class. Did lots this summer. I was aiming for a 30 and got 12-V, 8-PS, 10BS, Wr-M.

3. none

none 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

I did not take a prep course and got a 30R (11V, 10P, 9B). I know I could have done better on bio with some ochem review, but other than that...my score would probably be the same with a class.

4. MiamiMarmot

MiamiMarmot Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Take a prep course. It's a ton of money, but they'll force you to study. I took Kaplan, FYI. It also helps to spend time with people who are going with the same experience. Misery loves company!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. lilninja

lilninja Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I think it depends on your own study habits... if you like structured classes and a regular schedule, then you should really consider taking a class (PR and Kaplan have financial aid for people who may not be able to afford it). Just the practice tests alone will help a lot. But if you're like me and don't really find lectures to be all that helpful, then you can study at home. My only advice is to start early and take it easy - I don't think cramming it all into a month or two works that well - at least not for me. I knew people who worked for Kaplan and PR Hyperlearning and gave me material, and found the Hyperlearning textbook to be really useful for getting the gist of the science sections. I also used Stryer's Biochem for some stuff and my O-Chem textbook. It's really up to you, I don't think any particular advice is right or wrong.

6. Trek

Trek Grand Uranium Member
    7+ Year Member

Take it from a Kaplan teacher <bg>, you don't need a class. Buy that thick ass book from kaplan ($65), about 10 highliters ($15), and most important, MEMORIZE the entire thing ($0.00). You'll do fine (priceless). --Trek (please no one tell stanley kaplan i said this !!)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...