Commercial Prep Courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Md 2b In TN

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I'm wondering about you guys that did well and those who didn't. Who all took prep classes, what where you scores, and dod you think it helped?

Members don't see this ad.

I took the Kaplan class but I didn't really feel prepared for the April test, so I postponed taking the test until August. Signed up for the class again (only a nominal fee if you've taken the class recently) , but didn't go to the classes, just used their materials and practice tests. The key is practice tests! I didn't do enough when I was taking the class. Did lots this summer. I was aiming for a 30 and got 12-V, 8-PS, 10BS, Wr-M.

I did not take a prep course and got a 30R (11V, 10P, 9B). I know I could have done better on bio with some ochem review, but other than that...my score would probably be the same with a class.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take a prep course. It's a ton of money, but they'll force you to study. I took Kaplan, FYI. It also helps to spend time with people who are going with the same experience. Misery loves company!

I think it depends on your own study habits... if you like structured classes and a regular schedule, then you should really consider taking a class (PR and Kaplan have financial aid for people who may not be able to afford it). Just the practice tests alone will help a lot. But if you're like me and don't really find lectures to be all that helpful, then you can study at home. My only advice is to start early and take it easy - I don't think cramming it all into a month or two works that well - at least not for me. I knew people who worked for Kaplan and PR Hyperlearning and gave me material, and found the Hyperlearning textbook to be really useful for getting the gist of the science sections. I also used Stryer's Biochem for some stuff and my O-Chem textbook. It's really up to you, I don't think any particular advice is right or wrong.

Take it from a Kaplan teacher <bg>, you don't need a class. Buy that thick ass book from kaplan ($65), about 10 highliters ($15), and most important, MEMORIZE the entire thing ($0.00). You'll do fine (priceless). --Trek (please no one tell stanley kaplan i said this !!)