commerical establishments saying they take VSP (when they dont)

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drbizzaro

Varilux/Essilor Advocate
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a question to you all:

Does anyone have an idea on how to stop various commerical establishments from saying they take VSP when they dont?

This is what they say to the patients when they walk in.

Patient: Do you guys take VSP?
Staff: We're out of network, but VSP will reimburse you. So just follow me while I get you ready for your exam.
Patient (ignorant of the insurance fact): okay.

That annoys me. Anyways, does anyone have any ideas? Or does anyone here know the people high up at VSP? I know that VSP wants to cater to private practices, but this sort of diminishes it's effect now.

Members don't see this ad.

i can't imaging VSP would do anything about it. Their members are getting eye exams at rates less than the whopping $60 reimbursement they give to PP docs, so they save money. I think they give less of a frame/lens reimbursement too if a patient goes out-of-network. So again, VSP seems to be coming out ahead here. Why would they care?

That's what we told people at the office I used to work at. We weren't telling people we took VSP but that yeah, they will reimburse you for a portion of it... we were good about making it clear that we weren't a provider, because we had A LOT of patients with it, and for whatever reason nobody around there takes it.