Committee letter and LOR requirements?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AndyWarhol

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school offers Pre-health composite letter packet.
They require 3-4 letters from faculties, people, etc
and then they write a committee letter with evaluations and attach the individual letters.
Currently, I got 4 letters for the packet.

The thing is I plan to get a letter from a physician I shadow and it will be way after the deadline for the composite letter packet. (some schools recommend a letter from MD).

on the AMCAS, I will be requesting an upload of my composite letter (committee letter + 4 individuals, but as one packet) and I plan to also upload the letter from the physician.

When actually applying to schools and choosing which letter to be sent, will sending "composite letter packet" + "individual letter from physician" hurt?

I know schools require "committee letter or letter packet from credentials or individual letters"
so above action would fall into which option?

Say, for a school which says max 4 letters when sending individual letters but committee letter fulfills the requirements, sending "composite packet + individual letter from physician" is a no-go? Would this count as a 5 letters? 2 letters? or what..

I am confused and curious at the same time trying to figure out how to fit in my letter from the physician...any advices to fit in the additional letter?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My school offers Pre-health composite letter packet.
They require 3-4 letters from faculties, people, etc
and then they write a committee letter with evaluations and attach the individual letters.
Currently, I got 4 letters for the packet.

The thing is I plan to get a letter from a physician I shadow and it will be way after the deadline for the composite letter packet. (some schools recommend a letter from MD).

on the AMCAS, I will be requesting an upload of my composite letter (committee letter + 4 individuals, but as one packet) and I plan to also upload the letter from the physician.

When actually applying to schools and choosing which letter to be sent, will sending "composite letter packet" + "individual letter from physician" hurt?

I know schools require "committee letter or letter packet from credentials or individual letters"
so above action would be not advisable?
Say, for a school which says max 4 letters when sending individual letters, sending "composite packet + individual letter from physician" is a no-go, counting as a 5 letter? or what..

I am confused and curious at the same time trying to figure out how to fit in my letter from the physician...any advices to fit in the additional letter?
The committee letter plus packet counts as one letter (even though it covers four LOR). The MD LOR counts as one letter. I suggest you submit the physician shadowing letter only to those schools that require/recommend one.