Aug 5, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hello all- hoping to get some ideas regarding this situation as a first time applicant this cycle. I am getting frequent reminders from AAMC and my schools that my committee letter is not yet submitted. My undergraduate institution has a manual that emphatically advises students not to inquire about the submission of the committee letter, and it states that the letter will be received by the professional organizations by, or earlier than, August 1st.

I also have received an interview invite that requires me to have my committee letter in before the time of the interview, so I am hesitant to schedule this interview without knowing when that letter will be received.

How do you recommend that I go about this? Do I "go by the books" and not inquire about my letter submission to the committee and postpone scheduling the interview until it is submitted? Or take a gamble on scheduling the interview, hoping that the letter will be submitted by then? Or should I email my committee anyway?

Thanks for reading!!

candbgirl

15+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status (Visible)
Well it’s after August1 but all schools/professors/committees are impacted by Covid. Could you call and get an expected date? Tell them you have an interview invite but the letter has to be in by the interview and you need to know when to schedule! I mean the only other options are to not ask and to go ahead and schedule and hope it gets there in time! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
May 19, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
I would suggest emailing with the update that you have an interview invite that needs the letter submitted.

I'm in the process of trying to wrap up writing our committee letters, and the process is somewhere in-between herding cats and pulling teeth (collect information, draft letter, send letter around for committee signatures/sign-off, make any suggested changes, upload letter). And this year is especially chaotic at every step.

As I've fallen behind and students have let me know they are complete absent the letter, ready to submit secondaries, etc. it gives me something to use to "push" the rest of the committee, or move a particular letter up in my work queue.

Personally, I never mind students asking questions about progress/gentle reminders/updates about their timeline, if the students are nice about it.

This is probably different at schools where someone other than a faculty member is doing the committee letter writing/wrangling, but this is the most chaotic summer/start of Fall I've ever experienced for faculty, and likely most staff as well.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Aug 5, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I would suggest emailing with the update that you have an interview invite that needs the letter submitted.

I'm in the process of trying to wrap up writing our committee letters, and the process is somewhere in-between herding cats and pulling teeth (collect information, draft letter, send letter around for committee signatures/sign-off, make any suggested changes, upload letter). And this year is especially chaotic at every step.

As I've fallen behind and students have let me know they are complete absent the letter, ready to submit secondaries, etc. it gives me something to use to "push" the rest of the committee, or move a particular letter up in my work queue.

Personally, I never mind students asking questions about progress/gentle reminders/updates about their timeline, if the students are nice about it.

This is probably different at schools where someone other than a faculty member is doing the committee letter writing/wrangling, but this is the most chaotic summer/start of Fall I've ever experienced for faculty, and likely most staff as well.

Thank you so much and good luck with your end of the process this cycle! I totally believe that this year has been more chaotic and harder to predict submission deadlines to. That's why I've been especially reluctant to pester them on top of their request not to be pestered. I appreciate the advice and re-frame of giving incentive to push the letter out though.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads