krnkimsung

5+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
My school doesn't have a Pre-med/Pre-dental committee, so most likely I will have to obtain 3-4 letters from my science professors.

I've heard that DS prefers One committee letter over 3 professor letters, and I am worried that if the recommendation letters would affect my application.

Is this true?

BTW, I am planning to have my professors submit electronically. What is the exact process like? based on what I've looked it up on AADSAS website, I provide them with evaluators' email addresses and professors will receive a link that leads to the letter submission page. Right?

My professors are asking me what are the things that they need to fill out on the letter matching form. Could someone please help me with this?

Thanks,

sfrice80

Blood, Sweat, and Beers
Jun 11, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
Status
Dental Student
Absolutely not. Letters of rec are letters of rec. I could have sent in a committee letter but I just sent them all individually and believe me it doesn't put you at a disadvantage.

Basically, if they submit electronically, you enter their email address into the application and it sends them a link where they can upload your letter.

As far as the matching form is concerned, its really basic and I just filled it out for them, it just has a barcode and you put your name and university on it.

Hope this answers your questions.

coolfez

Removed
Mar 20, 2010
Status
What id your school does have a health committee but you opt to send in letters from individuals?

Also, is it possible to send some schools letters from prof, and some schools the health committee letter? Thanks

lovelyinpink11

5+ Year Member
May 27, 2009
Texas
Status
Dental Student
Our prehealth advisor says that the committee letter is really important. If you have the option between the committee and individual letters, pick the committee letter.

Vicviper

Michael De Coro, DMD - AKA Steve McAwesome
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2008
Visalia, CA
Status
Dentist
What id your school does have a health committee but you opt to send in letters from individuals?

Also, is it possible to send some schools letters from prof, and some schools the health committee letter? Thanks
On AADSAS, any letter you upload or turn in gets forwarded to all schools you apply to, but most schools say you can send them a letter as well.

Also, do most committee letters include the full text of the recommending professors letters? If not, and you could only get the crummy run of the mill letters, I'd say go with the committee, but if you can get really strong letters of recommendation, you'd be better off submitting them individually.

Jun 11, 2009
NY
Status
Dental Student
Our prehealth advisor says that the committee letter is really important. If you have the option between the committee and individual letters, pick the committee letter.
Your advisor knows very little, making that kind of statement is just funny. It always amazes me how most of the advisor lure those poor premeds and predents into thinking that what ever they say is almost like the word of God, and almost nothing can be done without them. (maybe it's just my university...)
I went strait to my professors and dealt with them, eliminate the middle man, it's simply inefficient. At my university people who would have written me a letter had never even seen me, makes no sense.

peanutb123

10+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
Your advisor knows very little, making that kind of statement is just funny. It always amazes me how most of the advisor lure those poor premeds and predents into thinking that what ever they say is almost like the word of God, and almost nothing can be done without them. (maybe it's just my university...)
I went strait to my professors and dealt with them, eliminate the middle man, it's simply inefficient. At my university people who would have written me a letter had never even seen me, makes no sense.

yeah My predent advisor does the same thing but he does it like this.

srb711

10+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
yeah My predent advisor does the same thing but he does it like this.
exactly! Ha, the predent advisors and committees feel like they are important and should be involved in the process... throw in that they've never had you in class and don't know you personally and you have the recipe for a disasterous recommendation. I would go with letters from science professors that can write you a positive letter. On top of that, get a good one one from a general dentist and you'll be good.

Last edited:

dl9006

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2008
Status
Dental Student
obviously preservation of his job is important as well :rolleyes: