Committee Letter Vs Individual Letters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nostalgicfreedom

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am going to be applying to dental school this summer. I am currently a sophomore biology major in an accelerated dental program. I was wondering if I should get a committee letter or individual letters. Regardless of which one I choose, I will be getting a letter from a dentist that I have shadowed. The individual letters would come from a professor that I research with and a professor whom I was a teacher's assistant for (for 1 semester). Professors at my university told us that more medical schools are not accepting or giving preference to committee letters and that dental schools are most likely going to follow this step.I couldn't find any dental schools that don't accept committee letters but I hope that schools don't change this and say that they won't accept committee letters before I start applying (because then it would be too late to attain individual letters). I apologize for the long post; I just want to get my letters as soon as possible and am having a very hard time deciding which path to take. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone!

I am going to be applying to dental school this summer. I am currently a sophomore biology major in an accelerated dental program. I was wondering if I should get a committee letter or individual letters. Regardless of which one I choose, I will be getting a letter from a dentist that I have shadowed. The individual letters would come from a professor that I research with and a professor whom I was a teacher's assistant for (for 1 semester). Professors at my university told us that more medical schools are not accepting or giving preference to committee letters and that dental schools are most likely going to follow this step.I couldn't find any dental schools that don't accept committee letters but I hope that schools don't change this and say that they won't accept committee letters before I start applying (because then it would be too late to attain individual letters). I apologize for the long post; I just want to get my letters as soon as possible and am having a very hard time deciding which path to take. Thanks!
Get a committee letter and also see if you can secure individual letters to upload to AADSAS as well. There are 4 “spots” for letters on AADSAS, a committee letter would only take up 1.

Reactions: 1 user
Get a committee letter and also see if you can secure individual letters to upload to AADSAS as well. There are 4 “spots” for letters on AADSAS, a committee letter would only take up 1.
No, a committee letter takes up three of those spots. You can submit only one additional letter.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I got into school with 3 letters of recommendation and not one was a committee letter. I was unsure before I applied as well about a committee letter being beneficial or not

if your school has committee letter, definitely do that. If your school doesn't, dental schools will know that and you dont really have another option.

Ask your school for a “committee packet,” where the committee letter is the cover letter, and your additional LORs will be included in the PDF file. That’s what I did, and I think having a bunch of strong recommendations helped a ton.

No, a committee letter takes up three of those spots. You can submit only one additional letter.

I submitted a committee letter and my school told dental applicants to mark it as an individual letter. I was then able to submit three other letters in addition!

Reactions: 1 users