committee Letter Vs. Individual

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dmessina

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The school I graduated from in May 08 has a committee letter that they write up, however, while I was studying for my DAT I wasn't in good communications with them because I thought the individual letters I had would be sufficient. I have 2 letters from 2 chemistry professors and 2 letters from 2 dentists. I would like to go straight forward so as to not waste time and E-submit my application with the individual letters but is it going to hurt my chances to not go through the committee?

Members don't see this ad.

No I think you'll be fine with submitting individual recs. Just make sure 2 science LORs are sufficient for the schools you are applying to. I think most require 2 science professors. Some schools don't have committee's to write letters, so there isn't going to be any disadvantage submitting individual LORs.

I called a school that I'm interested in and ask them this, they said that they do not give preference to committee letters. On their website, it says that they prefer them..but I highly doubt it would really make a huge difference. But then again, who knows? lol

Members don't see this ad :)
bump. more input would be appreciated.

This is my problem and I want to know what you guys would do.

Send my application next week with 4 separate letters (2 chemistry 2 dentists) of eval

or

wait a good month for the committee to get my stuff together and send it out.

I was in a similar boat and decided to apply with individual letters rather than a committee letter. I don't think it hurt my application at all, though some schools may care more than others.

I'd say getting your app in earlier is a bigger advantage over having a committee letter.