Quantcast

Committee Packet and Letter Packet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cloudstrife2054

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I hear for committee and letter packets, they arranged your letters so the strongest are on top and the weaker ones are at the bottom. This way, the stronger ones are more thoroughly read whereas the weaker ones are less likely to be read. For example, if a school requires 3-6 LORs and your packet has 8 letters, this means the top 3-6 are thoroughly read and the rest are not so much. I hear some committees even exclude mediocre ones from your packet altogether to keep them from hurting you.

Can anyone confirm this?

Last edited:

efle

not an elf
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hear for committee and letter packets, they arranged your letters so the strongest are on top and the weaker ones are at the bottom. This way, the stronger ones are more thoroughly read whereas the weaker ones are less likely to be read. For example, if a school requires 3-6 LORs and your packet has 8 letters, this means the top 3-6 are thoroughly read and the rest are not so much. I hear some committees even exclude mediocre ones from your packet altogether to keep them from hurting you.
Neat-o

Also, wow, 8 letters? I'm gonna guess admissions will probably read the cover summary and maybe skim a couple more

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Can anyone confirm this?

There are no standards of procedure or policy across premed committees. each will act in their own way.
Not all committees will attach full letters to the the committee evaluation.
Adcoms tend to appreciate committee letters as the evaluation of the student is done by those who know the applicant betters
As such, they tend to read the committee letter and the letter snippets contained within in and barely look at the letters themselves