Committee Packet and Letter Packet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cloudstrife2054

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hear for committee and letter packets, they arranged your letters so the strongest are on top and the weaker ones are at the bottom. This way, the stronger ones are more thoroughly read whereas the weaker ones are less likely to be read. For example, if a school requires 3-6 LORs and your packet has 8 letters, this means the top 3-6 are thoroughly read and the rest are not so much. I hear some committees even exclude mediocre ones from your packet altogether to keep them from hurting you.

Can anyone confirm this?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I hear for committee and letter packets, they arranged your letters so the strongest are on top and the weaker ones are at the bottom. This way, the stronger ones are more thoroughly read whereas the weaker ones are less likely to be read. For example, if a school requires 3-6 LORs and your packet has 8 letters, this means the top 3-6 are thoroughly read and the rest are not so much. I hear some committees even exclude mediocre ones from your packet altogether to keep them from hurting you.
Neat-o

Also, wow, 8 letters? I'm gonna guess admissions will probably read the cover summary and maybe skim a couple more

That's a what-if scenario, but I do have a lot of people to ask for letters.