Committing to a school while holding out for a another

May 25, 2012
1
0
Status
So here's my situation:
I applied to around 10 allopathic schools, interviewed at 2 of them, and was waitlisted at both. I would love to go to either school, however, I'd really prefer to go to one over the other. I recently received an acceptance to one of the schools which was a great relief. After a few days, they asked me whether or not I would be enrolling and requested a deposit. I would prefer to go to the other school I'm waitlisted at, but I don't want to miss out on this opportunity, so I paid the deposit.

My questions are:
Am I still allowed to wait on that other school's waitlist? Can I continue to send them letters of intent, even though I'm already enrolled at another school? If I were to get into that school in a month or two, would I be able to withdraw my enrollment from the first school?

I'm not really sure what is and isn't allowed during this whole process so I thought I'd post it up. I'd just like to know whether or not it's worth it to hold out for the preferred school or to just accept my current situation. Thanks!
 

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
22,910
31,416
Status
Academic Administration
So here's my situation:
I applied to around 10 allopathic schools, interviewed at 2 of them, and was waitlisted at both. I would love to go to either school, however, I'd really prefer to go to one over the other. I recently received an acceptance to one of the schools which was a great relief. After a few days, they asked me whether or not I would be enrolling and requested a deposit. I would prefer to go to the other school I'm waitlisted at, but I don't want to miss out on this opportunity, so I paid the deposit.

My questions are:
Am I still allowed to wait on that other school's waitlist? Can I continue to send them letters of intent, even though I'm already enrolled at another school? If I were to get into that school in a month or two, would I be able to withdraw my enrollment from the first school?

I'm not really sure what is and isn't allowed during this whole process so I thought I'd post it up. I'd just like to know whether or not it's worth it to hold out for the preferred school or to just accept my current situation. Thanks!
Obviously you must pay the deposit.

You may accept an offer and stay on a waitlist elsewhere. You may certainly tell a school where you are on the waitlist that you would like to attend (otherwise, why wouldn't you just withdraw your name from the waitlist there). You may withdraw your enrollment at one school to accept an offer from another school but you might lose your deposit.
 

RedSox10

5+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2010
417
2
Status
Medical Student
you're fine. you cant hold 2 acceptances after may 15th, but you can hold as many wait-lists as you want. once you get accepted to the more desirable school, you need to withdraw immediately from the other school you were accepted to.
 

ACal

5+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2011
207
0
Status
Medical Student
On the MSAR it says that most schools give you 2 weeks to respond to their offer...does that mean you just have 2 weeks to make a deposit? And you can choose to enroll in another school later and just lose the money? Or are there more negative consequences for making a deposit and then attending a different school?
 

phltz

7+ Year Member
May 13, 2010
889
30
Status
Medical Student
Or are there more negative consequences for making a deposit and then attending a different school?
No.

Every school has a waitlist, which they intend to pull students off of it need be. They know that those students will most likely have to cancel their matriculation at another school in order to accept coming off the wait list. They are in no position to get angry or indignant if they find themselves on the wrong end of this little dance. It's business. They're adults. No one will cry themselves to sleep because you decided to attend another school.
 

ACal

5+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2011
207
0
Status
Medical Student
Is there a deadline after which you can't back out of your matriculation?
 

194342

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2008
7,990
1,321
Status
Resident [Any Field]