Common Interview Question . . .

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

silverjelly

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
. . . that I've never really figured out how to answer properly: What are your weaknesses? I have several: stubborn, bossy, hard-headed, shy, natural loner (I know, it doesn't make sense).

Should I actually say that, or spew the usual crap about being a perfectionist (which I also am at times)?

Members don't see this ad.

silverjelly said:
. . . that I've never really figured out how to answer properly: What are your weaknesses? I have several: stubborn, bossy, hard-headed, shy, natural loner (I know, it doesn't make sense).

Should I actually say that, or spew the usual crap about being a perfectionist (which I also am at times)?

I wouldnt say that you are stubborn, bossy, etc... it will make you sound like you cant be a team player IMO.

Whatever you end up saying... I would definitely say what your weaknesses are, then back it up with how you have tried to correct them.

Members don't see this ad :)
i can personally say that in hiring people here at my office, any person who answers that question with "i just work too hard" or "i can't feel done with a project unless i know everything is just perfect" immediately loses all hopes of getting the job. everyone knows those answers are bogus, and they're looking for a genuine weakness...they're also looking at your level of honesty. i would highly recommend saying that perfectionism is a weakness in a med school interview because i think it kills credibility and makes the interviewer wonder what other questions you answered with bogus answers.

that said, you don't want to degrade yourself too bad...so pick one of those weaknesses you listed and say it in a slightly more positive way. being stubborn and hard-headed is also being strong and determined...even if it's to a fault.