Common Neuropsychological Tests/Measures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kevin Psych

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am just curious as to what specific tests usually constitute a neuropsychological examination.

What are the most common tests used?

Perhaps our neuropsychologist friends in the forum could be particularly helpful with providing some information. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I know they use the WAIS-II (or is it III?) at the place where I RA. I thnk they use some other measures too, but I don't remember which.

chaos said:
I know they use the WAIS-II (or is it III?) at the place where I RA. I thnk they use some other measures too, but I don't remember which.

The better way to think about it is by domain. Every pathological condition will have "modal" deficits, those that occur most often as well as spared or even enhanced (Asperger's) function not thought to occur and then some in between.

Batteries are selected based on the ability to capture (sensitivity) these deficits and with adaquate normative data for the type of pathology. There is no "set" battery, although in head injury the Halstead-Reitan Expanded NP Battery is used often. Many use a "flexible" battery or "set" by disorder, Rao Battery in MS patients for instance.

All domain assessments change by age, geriatric, adlut, child.

IQ
WISC-IV
WAIS-III
WPPSI-III

Memory
WMS-III
MAS
RAVLT
CVLT
BVMT
RCFT

Exec
Trails A&B
COWAT
WCST
HCT
Stroop
CPT-II
GDS
this domain is assessed by subset of orbital/ventral-medial/dorsal-lateral, when possible, although these distinctions are far from clear when it comes to test data

you go on from there through domains of language - receptive/expressive/confrontational naming/fluency/etc
Visual spatial, sensory/motor, etc, etc

there are then "microbatteries" RBANS, DRS-2, Cognistat, for screens and gero patients
and batteries for kids - NEPSY

The tests are less important than the understanding of the pathology, but that gives you an idea