Community based IM program to fellowship???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If one does an IM program at a community program, how difficult would it be for them to get a fellowship? Cards, GI, pulm, oncology, neph?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
If one does an IM program at a community program, how difficult would it be for them to get a fellowship? Cards, GI, pulm, oncology, neph?

Not impossible, especially if the community program have their own fellowship program in the specialty you want. I have seen many many people who have gone to community programs for one reason or another get plugged right into their own fellowship program.

It's a whole other discussion if you are talking about going to community residency then getting into an academic fellowship programs, however. It's not impossible but it will be a lot harder because the faculty who will be writing letters for you or otherwise plugging for you are just not as well known in the academic circle. Personal experience: at one of my nephrology fellowship interviews last year, all 8 of my interviewers at that particular program knew my letter-writers in person and many asked me how Dr. so-and-so is doing during the interview... Just imagine what an advantage that is.

I would also boldy say that unless you are truly uniquely qualified (such as MD/PHD who did research and published with the like of Dr. Topol or Libby etc...) you probably need to go to an academic program if you want a real chance at a top-flight research fellowship program (such as the Brigham or Cleveland Clinic cardiology fellowship, etc).

Not impossible, especially if the community program have their own fellowship program in the specialty you want. I have seen many many people who have gone to community programs for one reason or another get plugged right into their own fellowship program.

It's a whole other discussion if you are talking about going to community residency then getting into an academic fellowship programs, however. It's not impossible but it will be a lot harder because the faculty who will be writing letters for you or otherwise plugging for you are just not as well known in the academic circle. Personal experience: at one of my nephrology fellowship interviews last year, all 8 of my interviewers at that particular program knew my letter-writers in person and many asked me how Dr. so-and-so is doing during the interview... Just imagine what an advantage that is.

I would also boldy say that unless you are truly uniquely qualified (such as MD/PHD who did research and published with the like of Dr. Topol or Libby etc...) you probably need to go to an academic program if you want a real chance at a top-flight research fellowship program (such as the Brigham or Cleveland Clinic cardiology fellowship, etc).

What if your aim is not to get a research based fellowship or into a top program, but just an average or lower ranking program that will give you good clinical training?