Community College Advise Wanted...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GCode86atl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Don't take it over. Just do well in your future classes and you'll be OK academically unless, of course, you are shooting for a top-10 med school.

Don't take it over. Just do well in your future classes and you'll be OK academically unless, of course, you are shooting for a top-10 med school.
Not sure what the top-10 med school comment means...

OP- You'll be fine. If you really want to play it safe, take some upper division science classes at your four year and you're golden...

Members don't see this ad :)
I would recommend upper level science courses as well. I have heard that some places won't accept general sciences sequences that are taken at community colleges. Mainly because people could just do those reqs at a community college hoping for an easier time.

I have heard that some places won't accept general sciences sequences that are taken at community colleges. Mainly because people could just do those reqs at a community college hoping for an easier time.

Sorry, but this is a myth. I did an Associates Degree at a CC and then transferred into a four year school with Gen Chem I and II and Bio I and II already done. As far as I know, there is only one US medical school which will look askance at CC prereqs, but I can't remember offhand which one it is. Also, I talked to my pre-med advisor and an admissions officer at Johns Hopkins, and both said that prereqs done at a community college are fine, as long as you do them before transferring. Now, what does look bad is taking prereqs over the summer at your local CC while enrolled in a four-year school. There was a thread on this not long ago which I suggest you try and find, several people posted links to specific medical school sites you mind find helpful.

From what I understand Fiddlergirl is right on the money. Don't take CC class while you are at a four-year school, take them before as a stepping stone and build upon them taking higher level classes at a four-year school. Good luck!

Oh yea, and you must cure one incurable disease before applying.

RB

boston college and case western dont take cc credits

just do well in upper division and 30+ on mcat...

By top 10 I mean places like Hopkins, etc. If you just want to get in somewhere, then CC classes shouldn't hurt. If you want to go to Harvard or Johns Hopkins, they might be a liability. OP just has to rock his upper division science courses and he should be OK.

boston college and case western dont take cc credits

just do well in upper division and 30+ on mcat...

Well boston university doesnt, but I got into both the Case Western program and the Cleveland Clinic program with prereqs from a community college. So I would say that if they think you are good enough Case doesnt really care.

Well boston university doesnt, but I got into both the Case Western program and the Cleveland Clinic program with prereqs from a community college. So I would say that if they think you are good enough Case doesnt really care.

And neither does Boston U. I called there and they said that the only time they don't take CC credits is when you're already enrolled at a four-year school and taking CC credits on the side.

And neither does Boston U. I called there and they said that the only time they don't take CC credits is when you're already enrolled at a four-year school and taking CC credits on the side.
God, I get so tired of that Boston U myth. Folks throughout SDN seem to believe that there are "lots" of schools that don't take community college credits, yet no one yet has been able to provide verification of a college that does not accept CC credits for those who are enrolled full-time at a community college pre-transfer.

They don't accept just core science prereqs or any classes? I took Psych and Precalc at a cc over the summer but theyre not core classes and I only needed Precalc as a prereq for Calc in the fall, which I got an A in at my regular 4 yr university. Is that ok?

They don't accept just core science prereqs or any classes? I took Psych and Precalc at a cc over the summer but theyre not core classes and I only needed Precalc as a prereq for Calc in the fall, which I got an A in at my regular 4 yr university. Is that ok?
Who's "they"? Assuming BU, they do not accept CC classes for prereqs unless you were a FT CC student before transferring. Unless Psych and Precalc are requirements at BU, I wouldn't sweat it.

Members don't see this ad :)
"They" as in any schools that don't accept credits from community colleges, whichever ones they are..I was wondering if they didn't accept just core/required classes or any at all like psych and precalc.

All college level classes, including CC classes, are counted in your overall GPA and should be put on your transcript. I say this as someone going through the application phase with a two year degree from a CC.

All college level classes, including CC classes, are counted in your overall GPA and should be put on your transcript. I say this as someone going through the application phase with a two year degree from a CC.

Is it really true that non-college level classes are not calculated in GPA, not even appear on the transcript sent to med schools from AAMC? cuz i've taken some non-college level classes in which I was interested and got all A's....

Is it really true that non-college level classes are not calculated in GPA, not even appear on the transcript sent to med schools from AAMC? cuz i've taken some non-college level classes in which I was interested and got all A's....
What are "non-college level classes"? If you mean high school coursework, no it doesn't appear. If you mean non-college classes at a rec center or something, no it doesn't appear.

What are "non-college level classes"? If you mean high school coursework, no it doesn't appear. If you mean non-college classes at a rec center or something, no it doesn't appear.

I meant courses taken at university or community college which are considered non-college level. For example, in my school, below level 100 courses are non-college level (ENG 50, MATH 25, etc).

I meant courses taken at university or community college which are considered non-college level. For example, in my school, below level 100 courses are non-college level.

What school do you go to? I think you meant 100+ is not considered an UD or major-related course, right?

What school do you go to? I think you meant 100+ is not considered an UD or major-related course, right?

Yes. We have like English reading and writing classes that are not college level, math, cooking, local music, etc. Funny thing is that those classes are classified as undergraduate works but not college level.

all in all, still confused... :confused:

I've never heard of a "non-college" level college class. I think the rule is, if it is on your transcript and you got credit for it, it counts. Otherwise, it was fun and hopefully you learned something, but it doesn't really count for anything.