Community college and GPA???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

investing101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just finishing community college but with a low 3.0 GPA. I plan to transfer to a university this spring if not fall. Obviously once the transfer is completed I will start with a new GPA. If I finish with an outstanding university GPA will the community college GPA affect me in any way???

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, all transcripts are taken into consideration when you apply. That said, grade trends are considered as well so if you do well once you transfer then schools might cut you a break.

Just finishing community college but with a low 3.0 GPA. I plan to transfer to a university this spring if not fall. Obviously once the transfer is completed I will start with a new GPA. If I finish with an outstanding university GPA will the community college GPA affect me in any way???

Your grades at the community college will be averaged in with your grades at your university, so as far as med schools are concerned you never get to "start with a new GPA." Just do your best from here on out but know that every grade counts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Darn it! I'm actually doing good on my classes but not with my Political Science class. :/ Idk how I will make that up because I don't want to take that subject again, I just had to take it for this semester but not anymore for spring. :(

The GPA's from both college at an equal standpoint? Or would the uGPA be slightly favored than the ccGPA?

The GPA's from both college at an equal standpoint? Or would the uGPA be slightly favored than the ccGPA?
You just enter all your grades into AMCAS and it pops out a GPA and a science GPA--it doesn't calculate a GPA for each school. The schools can look and see a positive trend, but when they are just looking at your GPA they only see what AMCAS tells them.