community college classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yl99

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently attending a university, but wanted to take a science such a semester of chemistry at a community college.. will medical schools care? I'll take my org at my university.

Members don't see this ad.

some schools care more than others... ur best bet would be to contact schools that ur interested in and make sure it's ok.

I took organic at a community college, and it was no problem at any of the schools i applied to and i got a few acceptances. i had already graduated, though, and was working full time, so it was pretty much my only option to take night classes. if you're currently enrolled in a university, and you take a core science at a community college, it might look like you're ducking it at your university, and they might frown upon it. i'd be safe and just take it at your school

Members don't see this ad :)
Taking classes at a 4-yr institution is a safer bet, of course. It's more difficult to prove your ability in classes taken at an institution lacking reputation.

Yet, med. schools are probably more interested in the name of the university on your diploma rather than where you took your science courses. If you earn A's in community college classes, prove yourself to be a good student at your undergrad. university, and -importantly, ace your MCAT- the plan could possibly work in your favor, especially if the extra regular semester hours you will have available allow you to take more challenging courses or tack on an additional major, etc.

Thanks for the input, I have decided to take gen chemII at community college.