Community College Classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ron128dc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm in my last year at UC Berkeley and I wanted to help out my cGPA sGPA somehow. While staying a full time student during my last year, I heard it wasn't too hard to get A's by taking a community college's online courses. First of all, is this a good idea? I really want to show that I put in the effort to raise my GPA when I start applying in the Summer of 2010. I'm already planning on taking the maximum number of classes before I graduate. I was hoping doing well in community college online courses in addition to my university classes would maximize the improvement for my science and cumulative GPA.

Second, the community college offers both lower division and upper division science courses. I took most of the prereqs already so I was wondering if taking lower division classes that are different that the ones I already took would help me more than taking various upper division science courses. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd be careful taking classes online. I read that some med schools don't like those very much, and may not even accept them. I don't know if that holds true for your entire degree, or just your pre-reqs, or science classes. Maybe somebody here will be able to offer you a better advice, just make sure you're covered before you do decide to register for these.

If your objective is to impress med schools, why not make those As at your undergrad?

Because they will not be impressed by the obvious grade grubbing dodge you propose.

Man up, start making As, stop making excuses.

Here is the thing. CC classes are not a bad thing if you start off at a cc. However, what you are thinking of doing does look a little sketchy. Most will wonder why you went to a cc when you were already enrolled in a four year. People have already tried that and they know whats up with that. Also, how do you know you would do better? What if you took classes at a cc and did about the same? Lame. Just try and do the best you can at the school you are at. The only exception for IMO, would be if you had left the four year for a couple years, were working, then decided that you wanted to go to med school and needed the pre-reqs.

EDIT: No, do not take lower divisions again.