anomorato

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 26, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Does it really matter if I have taken a couple of my requirement courses (Organic I & II) at a community college? Considering that they were transferrable to the Uni I graduated from...

Has anyone taken courses at a Community College and gained acceptance to DO schools?

Thanks

Onstarr

10+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I took Calc based physics I & II at a comm. college.

It seems like most schools didnt really care as long as you did well.

on top of that, if you did well on your mcats, it kinda shows that you understood most of the material.

Quakkilla

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I agree the MCAT is the key. I think that if you do well on the MCAT you will be fine. However, you get a low score in Biological sciences it is going to be harder to off set than if you took them at a University. Just my 2 cents.

About the Ads

kjaredhess

VCOM 2009
10+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2005
Blacksburg, VA
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I went to community college for 3 years, transferring those to a 4 year college. I did good on the MCAT comparing with my class' average, but not what I would call exceptional. I applied to 2 DO schools, and was accepted to both. I don't think that it really matters where you took the courses.

Pugnacious

Wife studies; I just surf
10+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2006
Des Moines, Iowa
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
My wife took over 1/3 of her classes at a community college (location was the main reason), and none of the med school interviewers said anything about it. They all complimented her on her 3.8+ GPA. I assumed that taking community college classes would be a negative but it seemed to not make a difference.

OnMyWayThere

OMS-III
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2003
The best coast (west coast)
Status (Visible)
My wife took over 1/3 of her classes at a community college (location was the main reason), and none of the med school interviewers said anything about it. They all complimented her on her 3.8+ GPA. I assumed that taking community college classes would be a negative but it seemed to not make a difference.

I took many prereqs at a CC and it wasn't an issue as well. From what I've seen so far, I used maybe 3% of the stuff I learned in these classes so far - so take the route that assures you get an A.

Pansit

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I took many prereqs at a CC and it wasn't an issue as well. From what I've seen so far, I used maybe 3% of the stuff I learned in these classes so far - so take the route that assures you get an A.

I think this is the wrong attitude to take. I know personally that CC classes are in general a lot less challenging than a university course but taking them because they are a sure A is not the correct attitude. You want to be challenged and get an A knowing you didnt try to dodge it. Believe me, if you work hard at a 4 year institution you will still get the A. In medical school you will not have the choice of picking which classes are less challenging or not.

OnMyWayThere

OMS-III
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2003
Status (Visible)
I think this is the wrong attitude to take. I know personally that CC classes are in general a lot less challenging than a university course but taking them because they are a sure A is not the correct attitude. You want to be challenged and get an A knowing you didnt try to dodge it. Believe me, if you work hard at a 4 year institution you will still get the A. In medical school you will not have the choice of picking which classes are less challenging or not.

I had an instructor at a CC that boasted about not having given an A in 11 years. So not all classes at CC are 'EASY' but if your goal is to get into medical school, I think making sure you get an A should be a priority. Of course you need to learn the material for the MCAT but that shouldn't be a problem in most classes.

Pansit

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I had an instructor at a CC that boasted about not having given an A in 11 years. So not all classes at CC are 'EASY' but if your goal is to get into medical school, I think making sure you get an A should be a priority. Of course you need to learn the material for the MCAT but that shouldn't be a problem in most classes.

I agree with getting good grades as a priority but I disagree with going to a CC for the sole reason that it would be an easy A. If you get into a 4 year program take it there, if not take it where you may be. I was instructed by my pre-med advisor that intentionally taking pre-req courses at a CC while at a 4 year institution is looked down upon during the application process. They can tell what you are doing when looking at your transcripts.

OnMyWayThere

OMS-III
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2003
Status (Visible)
I agree with getting good grades as a priority but I disagree with going to a CC for the sole reason that it would be an easy A. If you get into a 4 year program take it there, if not take it where you may be. I was instructed by my pre-med advisor that intentionally taking pre-req courses at a CC while at a 4 year institution is looked down upon during the application process. They can tell what you are doing when looking at your transcripts.

Like I said before, from my experiences it is not an issue with admissions. And I wasn't the type of applicant whose application "compensated" for this in other ways. Pre-med advisors also feed students with a lot of B.S. they have no idea about. It's a numbers game and you gotta play it that way... Each person has their own strategy though so do what works best for you.

Pansit

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Like I said before, from my experiences it is not an issue with admissions. And I wasn't the type of applicant whose application "compensated" for this in other ways. Pre-med advisors also feed students with a lot of B.S. they have no idea about. It's a numbers game and you gotta play it that way...

Not gonna argue with that :thumbup:

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.