Community College Credits and Undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TTigers70

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a question about credit transfer. I am in the process of taking two online sociology classes through my community college just out of pure interest. I had to pay almost nothing for them so I figured why not take them. I found out that the credit will transfer over to my undergrad university but only as elective credit and will not be accompanied by a grade. Apparently, I only need to get a C in the class to get credit with my university. I was wondering if I will post my grades separately on my AMCAS or if they will only look at my major undergrad because the grade does not transfer to it. Basically, will the community college classes fluff my overall GPA or will it not matter because it will not affect my undergrad GPA?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If I am not mistaken, AMCAS requires transcripts for all post-secondary institutions, so the classes will certainly "fluff" the GPA. I am actually doing the same thing next summer with my foreign language classes. It is SO much cheaper than taking stuff at my undergrad institution.

I'm doing the same this summer as well, and probably next summer too