Community College for Post Bacc Courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StrawHatDMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I recently heard that medical schools look down on students that take courses at a community college. I was wondering if someone can confirm or deny this?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

It's more urban legend amongst pre-meds. There are some schools that do look down, so always contact Admissions offices to find out their take. But on the whole, CC's can be as rigorous as any 4 year school.

What we do frown upon is your taking a very light course load, like 4 credits/semester. We've rejected people who've done that. After all, you need to show us that you can handle a heavy course load.

Hey all,

I recently heard that medical schools look down on students that take courses at a community college. I was wondering if someone can confirm or deny this?

Thank you

Reactions: 1 user
It's more urban legend amongst pre-meds. There are some schools that do look down, so always contact Admissions offices to find out their take. But on the whole, CC's can be as rigorous as any 4 year school.

What we do frown upon is your taking a very light course load, like 4 credits/semester. We've rejected people who've done that. After all, you need to show us that you can handle a heavy course load.
Does this apply to applicants who work full-time as well? How about 8 credits per semester? I'm retaking as many classes as humanly possible but I'm daunted by the idea of taking 12 credits plus a 30-40 hour workweek.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does this apply to applicants who work full-time as well? How about 8 credits per semester? I'm retaking as many classes as humanly possible but I'm daunted by the idea of taking 12 credits plus a 30-40 hour workweek.

Working (or volunteering) at least part time while taking 8 credits per semester is absolutely fine. Since you are retaking classes, I'm guessing you are applying DO only. You will have zero problems from DO schools accepting your credits/schedule as a heavy course and workload. Frankly, I think working and taking 8 science credits is tougher than most undergrads taking, for instance, 12 credits a semester or so and not working. Just make sure you try your best to do well in them.

You said we. If you don't mind me asking, are you part of the admissions committee for a medical school and if so which one?

Also I am applying this summer for med school. In my year off, my plan was to take some advance classes at a community college (plus redoing a premed req or so) while doing an internship. Do you think that is something admissions counselors will look down on?

Yes, I've been an AdCom member for nearly 10 years. Where? Let's just say somewhere west of St Louis.

[Sheriff AL;13915682]You said we. If you don't mind me asking, are you part of the admissions committee for a medical school and if so which one?

Nope..I think your4 plans are fine.

Also I am applying this summer for med school. In my year off, my plan was to take some advance classes at a community college (plus redoing a premed req or so) while doing an internship. Do you think that is something admissions counselors will look down on

I called NSU to tell them I am doing a post-bac at a local comm. college they told me it was okay.

Good to know, is taking 12 credits of prereqs while doing 10-20 hrs of extracurriculars per week acceptable?

I called NSU to tell them I am doing a post-bac at a local comm. college they told me it was okay.

I've called several schools (NYCOM, VCOM, LECOM, and also NSU) and they all said it was fine.

I want to take post bacc prereqs at a community college to save money and commuting time, but it seems like I shouldn't bother applying to Case Western based on what their website says about community college classes. :/