Community College=No dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cofo

Super Cool Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The only schools I want to apply to as of now are Baylor Dental College, and UT-Houston Dental School. I have only one question...

I am only going to be taking about 27 hours at a community college, then I will take the rest of my college at a 4yr University. Will this affect my chances of getting in to one of these dental schools? I have already looked at both websites, and both do not say. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

The only schools I want to apply to as of now are Baylor Dental College, and UT-Houston Dental School. I have only one question...

I am only going to be taking about 27 hours at a community college, then I will take the rest of my college at a 4yr University. Will this affect my chances of getting in to one of these dental schools? I have already looked at both websites, and both do not say. Thank you!

NO it doesn't affect your chances. I would take more classes at a 4 yr college though but the main point is that you want to get excellent grades wherever you go to school.
:luck:
-ld

theres people who got in medical school that went to cc

Members don't see this ad :)
No it won't. I got into Houston with 30+ hrs at community college and got into Houston. If you are in the Houston area, I would go somewhere besides HCC though.

Can I take some biology and chem and OChem classes at a community college and still get into Houston or Baylor?

u can get into snywhere if u havr good statuses. my dental school only accepts 64 credits at a cc so... i stayed away from that. just make your application look really good by getting good gpa dat, community service etc!!!!

No it won't. I got into Houston with 30+ hrs at community college and got into Houston. If you are in the Houston area, I would go somewhere besides HCC though.

I have around the same # cc hours as Ex_EE and got into all 3 Texas schools...don't skimp on your university courses, though. They want to know you're ready to handle and have already handled the big stuff (biochem, microbiology, histology, etc) Mainly ACC in Austin, some Quad C in Plano.

I can't tell you how much I wish I would have taken my prereqs at a cc(Salt lake cc)...I know guys at my school that did this...they didn't learn a thing but they have 4.0's for their prereqs one just got into case and ohio state another is going to USC both got 18's on their dat. Alot of schools just plug your gpa and dat scores into a formula and if your not retarted in your interview your get in if you score high enough...go for it

I have 60 credits from CC, and spending my time in 4 yr university now.
Don't worry. 30 is half of what I already have. LOL.

I wouldnt say your friends didnt learn a thing. I took my prereqs at CC got into dental but i understood my prereqs better than all my friends at 4 year university(not most.. all). At CC your more likely to get taught the material where at a 4 year they're more likely to give you a book and say figure it out. My experience anyway.

I wouldnt say your friends didnt learn a thing. I took my prereqs at CC got into dental but i understood my prereqs better than all my friends at 4 year university(not most.. all). At CC your more likely to get taught the material where at a 4 year they're more likely to give you a book and say figure it out. My experience anyway.

Took cc courses this fall in addition to a 4 year just for fun. I batted my eyes at my female professor and got my "A."

There is no comparison as far as I'm concerned. I wish I had taken CC courses in the end though just to save the money. A couple assistant deans told me not to take CC courses, but then I see people getting accepted to the same schools after attending CC courses. They want the high numbers...despite them saying otherwise.

I went to a community college for two full years, taking all my prerequisites there; transferred to a 4-year for the last two years and got into dental school on the first try on Dec. 1st. You can do it...

Reactions: 1 user
I went to a community college for two full years, taking all my prerequisites there; transferred to a 4-year for the last two years and got into dental school on the first try on Dec. 1st. You can do it...
Hello Doctor .. i would like to chat with you , please

How can i contact with him ?

You probably can't, but if you're looking for advice on transferring from a community college to a 4-year institution I'd recommend you start a new thread on here - I'm sure you would get plenty of feedback from other students that have done it.