Community College pre-reqs for a Science Major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheUmlungu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my story...I graduated with a bachelor's in Mechanical Engineering and a minor in Physics with mostly upper level classes, with a 3.75 gpa. I've been serving with the Peace Corps in South Africa for the last two years, working in a rural school and a couple clinics. Medicine had been in the back of my mind for years, but it's been as a result of my service here that I feel this is really the right path.

The problem is, I'm missing a few pre-reqs: the orgo and general bio tracks.

The rumor I've heard is that most schools don't like pre-reqs from a community college because they don't show a student's ability in a 'real' science course. Is this really the outlook? And if it is, would someone who already has a science degree (with some of the pre-requisites, like Physics and Gen Chem, completed) with a pretty strong GPA be able to take these courses at a CC and still be a strong applicant? Or, should a CC just be avoided at all costs?

Thanks for the information! It's definitely appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

CC classes are normally considered less rigorous (whether true or not), so that is why they are looked down upon. Med schools want to see you can handle the rigor. But in your case, 3.75 in mechanical engineering is pretty good, so clearly you can handle the rigor. I am not 100% sure. I recommend against CC classes mainly because you want to set yourself without any complications. Is it possible? Absolutely. But in a process that is highly competitive, the smartest option would be to set yourself up with the best possible odds. If uni classes can be taken, they should be. But if there isn't any other options, make whatever you have work.

x

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
CC classes are normally considered less rigorous (whether true or not), so that is why they are looked down upon. Med schools want to see you can handle the rigor. But in your case, 3.75 in mechanical engineering is pretty good, so clearly you can handle the rigor. I am not 100% sure. I recommend against CC classes mainly because you want to set yourself without any complications. Is it possible? Absolutely. But in a process that is highly competitive, the smartest option would be to set yourself up with the best possible odds. If uni classes can be taken, they should be. But if there isn't any other options, make whatever you have work.

+1 I have a friend who actually took all his pre-reqs at a community college. He received a high GPA and scored pretty well on the MCAT too but unfortunately did not get any interviews this is his second application cycle. Some schools have indicated to him that he needs to take rigorous courses at a University. The truth of the matter is that taking SOME pre-reqs in community college is fine but taking all will definitely create some complications that you should simply just avoid. Sure some medical schools might not care but most will and they will question why the majority of the pre-reqs were not taken in a more challenging environment.

x

Last edited:
Not always true. How schools view CC is going to vary highly from person to person. I took all my pre-reqs at CC. I've spent four years total at CC including time in high school and time after my undergrad. It's never come up once in my interviews. Yes, university for pre-reqs is better, but CC is not the kiss of death that so many people on SDN think it to be. I think your friend probably had other issues and taking courses at CC just amplified whatever those issues were.

no one is saying kiss of death, but it is questionable. It may be to one person in the whole season, but with a process that is insanely competitive, doing so may cause doubt at some schools. The app may be good enough to ignore. If you apply to 20 schools, get accepted to 3, but the other 17 reject you because of CC credits, who cares? It may not affect anyone to the point where they notice it. But a person could apply to 17 schools were all 17 dislike it. It isn't tried and true not to take them at a CC. Just increases the odds. It isn't that much different than volunteering at Planned Parenthood or the local "Freedom From Religion" council. You may be campaigning for a democrat. They themselves aren't bad, but if you get a super conservative, religious adcom member, it is going to hurt you. How much is the question.

+1 I have a friend who actually took all his pre-reqs at a community college. He received a high GPA and scored pretty well on the MCAT too but unfortunately did not get any interviews this is his second application cycle. Some schools have indicated to him that he needs to take rigorous courses at a University. The truth of the matter is that taking SOME pre-reqs in community college is fine but taking all will definitely create some complications that you should simply just avoid. Sure some medical schools might not care but most will and they will question why the majority of the pre-reqs were not taken in a more challenging environment.

Sounds similar to me. Mind if I ask what his MCAT score is?

sounds similar to me. Mind if i ask what his mcat score is?

31 R (10 ps, 9 vr, 12 bs)

Not always true. How schools view CC is going to vary highly from person to person. I took all my pre-reqs at CC. I've spent four years total at CC including time in high school and time after my undergrad. It's never come up once in my interviews. Yes, university for pre-reqs is better, but CC is not the kiss of death that so many people on SDN think it to be. I think your friend probably had other issues and taking courses at CC just amplified whatever those issues were.

No one is calling it the kiss of death as I said some schools might not care. However, let us not kid ourselves medical school is extremely competitive and taking ALL pre-reqs at CC is going to put a little bit of burden on the application. My suggestion to OP was to try to take at least some of the pre-reqs at a University to eliminate any doubts.

I don't think CC will affect YOU in specific. You have a great GPA for a rigorous program. Is anyone going to really think an Engineering can't do General Bio? Please.

I don't think CC will affect YOU in specific. You have a great GPA for a rigorous program. Is anyone going to really think an Engineering can't do General Bio? Please.

I agree here, however I would caution the OP. There are giant tools in every industry and profession and medicine (and adcom committees) are not exempt.

OP- you will likely be fine. If you took the engineering years ago, it may have a bigger effect than if you are just getting out of classes. But either way, in your case, if you do well on the MCAT, it probably won't affect you at all.

Where you did your engineering plays a part too. I have met people with high gpa's at very easy programs who couldn't hardly pass the classes at a decent program, they switched majors or dropped out. Some schools are just so easy that even their engineering program is only moderately difficult. Assess yourself and make sure you don't fall into this category otherwise some upper levels at a quality university would be good for your own academic and MCAT score's sake.

So my story...I graduated with a bachelor's in Mechanical Engineering and a minor in Physics with mostly upper level classes, with a 3.75 gpa. I've been serving with the Peace Corps in South Africa for the last two years, working in a rural school and a couple clinics. Medicine had been in the back of my mind for years, but it's been as a result of my service here that I feel this is really the right path.

The problem is, I'm missing a few pre-reqs: the orgo and general bio tracks.

The rumor I've heard is that most schools don't like pre-reqs from a community college because they don't show a student's ability in a 'real' science course. Is this really the outlook? And if it is, would someone who already has a science degree (with some of the pre-requisites, like Physics and Gen Chem, completed) with a pretty strong GPA be able to take these courses at a CC and still be a strong applicant? Or, should a CC just be avoided at all costs?

Thanks for the information! It's definitely appreciated.

You should take these courses at the University versus the CC unless economically and based on your current situation it has to be avoided. Some people on admissions were on this site talking about the CC, and unfortunately it is not looked highly upon to take courses in the pre-reqs there. The reality of the situation, and I wish they would understand this, is that CC courses are many times harder than University courses. I had a breeze getting As in math and science at the University, but when I took classes at the CC, it was clearly harder in many cases, as the grading was at a strict 70, 80, 90 scale, with no curving. I got a B in a class where there was only 12 people in there maybe. We all knew each others' grades. My final grade was an 89 and I was the class leader. I did not get an A. In my experience mathematics courses were at a much higher level of difficulty at the CC then at the University.

With the 3.75, you are in good shape, but try not to take courses at the CC because admissions might discriminate, and the course won't necessarily be any easier. Just like Caribbean med schools are hard on students to build a reputation and earn profit, the same goes for the CC. They always feel like there is something to prove, and don't allow easy As like the University.

Where you did your engineering plays a part too. I have met people with high gpa's at very easy programs who couldn't hardly pass the classes at a decent program, they switched majors or dropped out. Some schools are just so easy that even their engineering program is only moderately difficult. Assess yourself and make sure you don't fall into this category otherwise some upper levels at a quality university would be good for your own academic and MCAT score's sake.

What this poster is saying rings very very true. Engineering programs are not created equally, as are Universities. Also, top rated schools in general, whether they are known for engineering or not, may play a significant role in getting interviews / acceptances. There is a reason Johns Hopkins undergraduate biology and MIT have a high amount of acceptances to medical school. No, not everybody has what would be considered a good GPA at these institutions, but the admissions respects the institutions, and assumes a great level of difficulty in the programs. What I can say is that science courses aren't any easier at a top 5 engineering school than at the CC. The big school has a wickedly nice curve that you think shouldn't even be allowed (or just adding cutoffs a lot), uses similar questions, and posts a lot of old tests. In chemistry, I kid you not like a 45 was a C, and they had many repeat questions posted right on the tests from Blackboard. But regarding the rigor of the engineering, I can say that at a good engineering school there are a lot of low grades, and a lot of people with stellar high school records. The passion and culture of students at high level engineering schools is admirable in comparison to some of the engineers I meet at everyday big companies.

Last edited:
I agree here, however I would caution the OP. There are giant tools in every industry and profession and medicine (and adcom committees) are not exempt.

OP- you will likely be fine. If you took the engineering years ago, it may have a bigger effect than if you are just getting out of classes. But either way, in your case, if you do well on the MCAT, it probably won't affect you at all.
I've been working as a tutor at my CC for the last year, and this bolded comment just made me realize how long I've been out of real world jobs. So damn true.

I took a few prerequisite at cc, but I made sure to take my ochems at the university, and physics 2. I also am a chem major, so I have a lot of upper division chemistrys with good grades that should balance off the cc classes *crosses fingers*