Community College PreReqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedphobic

medico futuro
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm looking to study abroad my Junior year which means I should hopefully have completed my medical school prerequisites prior to that.

Questions:

1. Would a medical school allow me to take my one-year physics requirement over the summer at a community college? Taking the same class where I am now (University of Vermont) would cost me about 8k for the full 8 credits, while the community college wouldn't even cost a fraction of that.

2. Would this be frowned upon by medical schools as a cop out way of getting your prerequisites done, perhaps because community colleges are "less accredited"? Again, I hope this isn't true because my only reason for wanting to take it at the community college would be for financial reasons.

Let me know guys/ gals. Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm looking to study abroad my Junior year which means I should hopefully have completed my medical school prerequisites prior to that.

Questions:

1. Would a medical school allow me to take my one-year physics requirement over the summer at a community college? Taking the same class where I am now (University of Vermont) would cost me about 8k for the full 8 credits, while the community college wouldn't even cost a fraction of that.

2. Would this be frowned upon by medical schools as a cop out way of getting your prerequisites done, perhaps because community colleges are "less accredited"? Again, I hope this isn't true because my only reason for wanting to take it at the community college would be for financial reasons.

It's not ideal, but if the rest of your academic record is strong, then you should be fine (i.e. there's no reason to suspect you're doing this as a cop out). Just explain to them the reason if they ask (I think your need to get it done over the summer + the financial consideration are great reasons).

It's not ideal, but if the rest of your academic record is strong, then you should be fine (i.e. there's no reason to suspect you're doing this as a cop out). Just explain to them the reason if they ask (I think your need to get it done over the summer + the financial consideration are great reasons).

My thoughts exactly.

Members don't see this ad :)

Questions:

I took Gen Chem at a community college and it was never once brought up in my interviews. I think you're fine. But, if you do a bulk of your pre-reqs at a community college, I've heard your MCAT matters more. To throw another wrench into the engine, I think I learned science better at community college than my brand-name undergrad!

Also, if the classes you intend to take at the CC are necessary for your degree, make sure that they are transferrable to your university, otherwise you'll find yourself in the position of having to take them again to satisfy graduation requirements.

I think your school's department of physics should be in charge of the approval, but it might also be the degree office.

Why don't we have a sticky about CC's? Seriously?