Community College = Suicide

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chemguync

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, all. Anybody else run into this?
So, I moved to NC 2 months before I started college.. and there was no way my family could afford out-of-state tuition, so I went to a CC for my first 2 years.. 3.96 GPA. I transfered to my current school, and am wrapping up my 3rd year, 3.9 gpa here. I got a 31 on the MCAT. So I was feeling pretty good about my chances this year. BUT--
Got a letter from Wake today telling me that since I went to a CC, they won't be considering my application.:rolleyes:
Somebody please tell me this is a Private school-only scenario.. Are state schools apt to have such closed-minded policies?
Also, I sent an email to the assoc. dean of admissions, and the generic admissions office email, to plea my case, and ask them to reconsider? Any chance of Hell freezing over for me?

Thanks, all.
-Chem

Members don't see this ad.

whoa that **** is ****ing scary

That is strange. I know plenty of people (including myself) who have gotten into both private and public schools after going to a cc either before getting a degree or after getting a degree to take their premed requirements. I wouldn't start thinking that all schools will make their decisions similar to Wake. That is lame.

The fact that you maintained an excellent gpa at a four year school and did so well on the MCAT should really remove any doubt in adcoms minds as to whether or not you can handle the coursework.

Keep your head up.

FYI. I have a very similar path. I went to CCSF and transferred to Berkeley. Applied to 11 schools while getting a M.S. (wasn't on AMCAS appl) and wound up getting into 4 and withdrew from a waitlist at 1. Some schools rejected me right off the bat, but none said that they did so based on my CC.

I hope that this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone else have a similarly warped policy????:( :scared: :eek: :confused: :wow:

Sorry to hear that, Chemguy! How snooty & undemocratic! Even higher ranked schools don't come right out & say that. Shouldn't be a big deal since you transferred to a 4 yr school. Good that you appealed to the dean. Hope things work out for you at other schools.

wow, i can't believe they can get away with not accepting community college classes. that is blatant discrimination against poor people! yet another reason why i hate wake forest :p

I had emailed them once about this too cuz i was in that predicament. Its true they dont want u to take your pre reqs at a CC BUT if you have taken a lot of upper division sciences they will consider those courses. So since i'm in a graduate science program I guess it shows that. But i didnt apply anyways. lol

I'd write the director and tell him your story. If he/she has a heart, hopefully you'll get a break!

I swear I can remember emailing them when I was a naive little freshman and asking about that policy, cuz I was panicking. It seems like they emailed me back, saying that the policy really means people take prereq's at the CC, and transfer them directly to the med school (as in post graduate), and they said it would be ok if it transfers through a university. Man, I wish I'd printed that out, drive up to Winston-Salem, and gotten somebody's signature. Oh, well. Live and learn (just not at WFU, I suppose).
But thanks for all the support :) , and keep it coming ;)

-Chem

"policy really means people take prereq's at the CC, and transfer them directly to the med school (as in post graduate), and they said it would be ok if it transfers through a university. Man, I wish I'd printed that out, drive up to Winston-Salem,"

Oops!.. Guess rage and typing don't mix.. meant to say people "can't" take prereq's.... and "driven"

+pissed+

That is just another example of stereotyping! Just because classes are offered at a community college, it does not mean that they are of lesser caliber than those courses offered at a university.

I took some courses at a community college that is a part of the state's university system. The courses offered on campus are equal to those offered at the state university. In fact, I had a microbiology class that was extremely difficult. We started out with 30 students. By the end of the semester, only four of us were left. Many of those that dropped said that they took it later at the University level and found the university course to be much easier than the community college one.

It is a shame that Wake Forest has to be so biased! I am glad that I did not apply there!

Another thing is Wake Forest is planning on taking about 70% out of state students this year to protest North Carolina cutting funding to their medical school. That might be another factor that went against you.

Sorry buddy, Im absolutely positive you will have better luck with other schools though!

You definately should not have a problem with going to a community college. I went to a community college for my first two years (3.8 GPA), then went to a four year college to take my Organic, Physics, and to finish up on my biology degree and ended up with a higher GPA there (3.92). Go figure!

Anyway, I have been accepted to four medical schools this year. Don't worry about going to a community college, it won't be as big a problem as some might say it is.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by AegisZero
Another thing is Wake Forest is planning on taking about 70% out of state students this year to protest North Carolina cutting funding to their medical school. That might be another factor that went against you.

where did you hear this from?? GAH!!!!

YEah, what's this bullshIght about Wake protesting NC?!!!
Where did you hear this?!!!! :eek: :eek:

we're all a bunch of stuck up no-good, CC hating, rich ass elitists.

or something.

Try Duke, I'm sure they'll be more accomodating.

I goto undergrad in north carolina and word got around through pre-med application circles.

I dont blame Wake for doing this either, because I think it is a valid form of protest. I just feel back that NC residents have to be the innocent bystanders in this.

Originally posted by wfu2005

or something.

Try Duke, I'm sure they'll be more accomodating.

Im glad you were able to read malice into the posts, and then project them onto other schools. Maybe you should only post something when you have something of worth to say? Or at least something positive?

Whatever...:rolleyes:

i had a similar experience with university of south florida last year, saying i would not be competitive b/c i did a post bacc at a cc and my prof's there did my letters of recommendation. this was the only school that had the problem. i am at einstein med now so go figure. i withdrew my app from usf once they informed me of their "thoughts." good luck, you should do fine.

I WENT TO A CC.

or something.

Couldn't have said it better myself.:)

Does anyone know of other Medical schools that do not accept individuals that attended CC? I attended a CC and I just transfered to a 4 yr university, I am having a very hard time adjusting to the everything and my grades are starting to show it. Do you think that any adcom will expect this or reject me? Just my thoughts.

Originally posted by AegisZero
Im glad you were able to read malice into the posts, and then project them onto other schools. Maybe you should only post something when you have something of worth to say? Or at least something positive?

Whatever...:rolleyes:

Calm down.....tongue firmly planted in cheek. With all the Wake bashing going on, I just wanted to be a part of the fun. But I forget my days of applying to med school, and the complete tunnel vision that goes with it. I apologize on behalf of my school for not looking at students that I am sure of high caliber just b/c they went to a CC. I, however, don't think it's completely out of the question to require the med school prerecs to have been taken at a 4 year university. While I'm sure the CC's that the people who have posted here attended were all excellent, there are quite a few that do not live up to the standards of an accredited, respected, 4 year university. Like I said, I'm sure most are quite good. But, when you get over 6,000 applicants or whatever, sometimes you have to set a filter that won't make everyone happy.

As for the NC residents thing....we aren't a public institution, and basically NC gives a lot to UNC and ECU, which is why their tuitions are (or were) so low. The money to schools like Wake and Duke is strictly for scholarships for NC residents, so if they are cutting that, what's the point of accepting 50% NC residents if they (the students) aren't getting any state scholarship money. It's too bad for NC residents, but not unfair and in fact is more fair to the other 49 states that have qualified people like yourselves applying.

my $0.02. I love Wake, and I think it's a great school. I'm sorry that some are being kept from having the opportunity to visit and apply. Maybe it will change one day. Good luck to all of you, and hang in there, it's only November. But always remember, don't go to Duke.

As for the NC residents thing....we aren't a public institution, and basically NC gives a lot to UNC and ECU, which is why their tuitions are (or were) so low. The money to schools like Wake and Duke is strictly for scholarships for NC residents, so if they are cutting that, what's the point of accepting 50% NC residents if they (the students) aren't getting any state scholarship money. It's too bad for NC residents, but not unfair and in fact is more fair to the other 49 states that have qualified people like yourselves applying.

Anyone know if NC does (or did) the same thing for professional/grad schools as they do (or did) for undergrad for private schools in NC? I seem to remember Duke undergrad including a NC Legislature grant for about $1350 or so in my financial aid letter back in the day. (hehe...and that was before my dad negotiated with them ;))

Good luck to all of you, and hang in there, it's only November. But always remember, don't go to Duke.

Yes. Everyone on this forum, listen to wfu, don't apply to Duke. That way it increases my chances of getting in. :p

I must admit I'm completely puzzled by the attitude over CC's. Certainly not all med schools play this game, and I know for certain (called and asked a couple years ago) OHSU doesn't care. The thing that puzzles me most is that my education at a CC was MUCH better than that provided at the university I now attend. In addition the CC I attended required that we take the ACS national chemistry exams at the end of the general and then organic chemistry year. If the med schools have any problem with my CC chemistry sequences then I'd just have them look at my ACS scores............

Originally posted by CD
The thing that puzzles me most is that my education at a CC was MUCH better than that provided at the university I now attend. In addition the CC I attended required that we take the ACS national chemistry exams at the end of the general and then organic chemistry year.
Yup, same here. Also, my premed advising office's pretty snooty, but they told me that my best LOR came from my CC. My science classes were < 25 which gave us the opportunity to get to know our teachers. Really down to earth.

A warning though, if you take classes @ a CC, try to balance that out by also doing some work @ a decent 4 yr college.

So I called the WFU lady up on Friday, and we went through my prereqs, looking for upper-level classes that would demonstrate my ability in each of the prerequisites that I completed at CC. She wrote them down and is gonna show the Assoc. dean of admissions guy when he gets back this week.. They're supposed to get back in touch w/ me sometime this week.. She said by calling and arguing my point, that I was doing the right thing. So I feel better now that they're at least taking a closer look at my app. It's pretty much all in the dean's hands now.

I'm rooting for ya chemguync!!!

A kid in my class came from a CC and then transferred to UC Irvine. So, it can be done.