Community college then transfer to university

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do you think I'll make it?

• Yes

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

Future Emergency Doctor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did very poorly in high school and as a result I'll have to go to community college. I've always wanted to be a doctor but I don't know how it'll effect my chances of makeing my dream come true. I plan on going to cc then transferring to my local university which also has a medical school. How do I make sure that I'll get into medical school? I want to major in biology. What classes should I take in community college?

Members don't see this ad.

You should take the classes that are required of your biology major to transfer. If you do well in CC then your chances shouldn't be affected.

Research your major classes and medical school prerequisite classes (most of which are covered by a biology degree).

On a side note, it can look bad if you do well at CC and then do poorly after transfer.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Transferring from a community college won't be any problem. I would recommend getting gen eds out of the way there. Humanities credits, English, etc. If you know you're going to transfer I would save my bio/chemistry credits for a 4 year university. Not all community colleges are the same, but the few in my area are known for weak science.

Reactions: 1 user
At least in CA, you are -required- to take some chem and bio prereqs before you transfer as a science major. UCI for instance wants you to complete Ochem before you transfer. So no big deal. Just continue to do well after transferring