Community college to med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scoob312

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi- I already graduated from a 4 year university last summer- but am very unhappy in my field and have realized that i should have gone in to medicine- i debated this a great deal my freshman year, but now i feel like it is too late. i am not in wonderful shape financially, and do not have the sciences i need. i do have the English requirements and of course the bachelors degree...

do med schools accept students who took their sciences from a community/tech school? or is it necessary to spend the money on a post-bachelors pre-med program?

thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Dear scoob, this question has been asked and answered many times. For what it's worth, I did all of my pre-requisites (except for organic chemistry) at a community college and everything turned out fine for me.

More important than where you go is that you do other things (have strong volunteer, work and E.C. experience), keep that GPA high (at comm. college or wherever), rock the MCAT and have good letters of recommendation that come out of meaningful experiences.

(Not that any of these things are easy)

ah - thank you so much. i had no idea if medical schools would accept that or not. i had a 3.45 gpa graduating, but will go for a 4.0 in the sciences of course... i was published for doing some information tech work for hospitals, so not sure if that would help or not. but thank you again!

Members don't see this ad :)
some won't accept them at all, but there are few schools like that. it also looks better to take them at a university and if you take them at a CC, it helps if you take upper levels at a university. If you can take them at a university, you should. There may be a stigma attached to CC credits at some schools and to increase the odds in a super competitive process, it is best not to give any reason for a committee to doubt your app.

Hi- I already graduated from a 4 year university last summer- but am very unhappy in my field and have realized that i should have gone in to medicine- i debated this a great deal my freshman year, but now i feel like it is too late. i am not in wonderful shape financially, and do not have the sciences i need. i do have the English requirements and of course the bachelors degree...

do med schools accept students who took their sciences from a community/tech school? or is it necessary to spend the money on a post-bachelors pre-med program?

thanks in advance

I was in a similar situation a couple years ago. Some don't accept credits from CC. Better to take them at a university. I did mine at a state university, unmatriculated graduate status. Worked out fine.