community college-to-university-to-medschool?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lightthecandle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So one of my friends went to a community college in order to pursue nusing for 1.5 years. This semester she was taking nursing requirements/clinicals and decided to quit in order to pursue her life long dream of being a physician.

She needs 10 more classes in order to finish her associates degree at the community college. Should she take the classes, OR transfer to a university? what would make the most sense?

Further, will med schools take community college credits?

Also, if anyone of you guys have had a similar experience, please do list the classes that were transferred (or not) , or if you HAD to take prereqs all at the university,

Also, when should she transfer to a university? And does she have to major in something, or can she simply just finish the prereqs?

the main question is: what would be the ideal process of someone coming from a community college to get into med school ???

I know I’m going to get ‘scolded’ for typing in a question for my ‘friend’, but for some reason, (she just signed up) it’s not allowing her to post, so I figured I’d get the ball rolling.

Any and all honest advice/concerns are much appreciated!
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If your friend was pursuing nursing and was actually taking nursing courses, she probably doesn't have very many of the med school pre-reqs done--the two fields are VERY different in terms of required coursework!

I recently contacted Dartmouth to ask if they would accept med school pre-reqs from a community college and they confirmed that they will accept coursework from any accredited college, whether it is a 2 year CC or a 4 year university. Of course, with that said, university courses with excellent grades will always look better!

Generally in order to graduate from a university or other 4 year college one has to major in *something*, even if it is just "liberal studies," so she probably will have to declare a major in something.

Since she requires 10 more classes to finish her associate's degree she is probably better of just doing them at the university and going straight for a bachelor's degree. 10 classes is at least a whole year--a year during which she could be pursuing her pre-reqs from a 4 year school.

So one of my friends went to a community college in order to pursue nusing for 1.5 years. This semester she was taking nursing requirements/clinicals and decided to quit in order to pursue her life long dream of being a physician.

She needs 10 more classes in order to finish her associates degree at the community college. Should she take the classes, OR transfer to a university? what would make the most sense?

Further, will med schools take community college credits?

Also, if anyone of you guys have had a similar experience, please do list the classes that were transferred (or not) , or if you HAD to take prereqs all at the university,

Also, when should she transfer to a university? And does she have to major in something, or can she simply just finish the prereqs?

the main question is: what would be the ideal process of someone coming from a community college to get into med school ???

I know I’m going to get ‘scolded’ for typing in a question for my ‘friend’, but for some reason, (she just signed up) it’s not allowing her to post, so I figured I’d get the ball rolling.

Any and all honest advice/concerns are much appreciated!
Thanks!

is that you? ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
First, medical school does take community college credit. But it does matter where... be weary of which classes meet the requirement and some schools hold east coast CC lower than west coast (pretty funny since the universities are reverse).

Second, tell your friend to transfer to a university. 1) AA is pointless if your already going to get a bachlors and 2) If her life long persuit is medical school, they need to see that she can compete with university students.

I wish the best to you and your friend. :luck:

1) AA is pointless if your already going to get a bachlors and [/QUOTE said:
Not true. At a lot of CC's if you get an AA you have options for scholarships to 4 year schools, sometimes up to half tuition.

would it be wise, or can you, finish the AA at the community college(requiring another year) and then go to a four year university, BUT only stay their two years, just to finish only the prereqs for med school? or do you have to take 120 credits at the university (typical credit #) in order to graduate and THEN go to med school?

what route would be the smartest, most ideal, convenient?

thanks a bunch!

I transferred from a cc to a 4 year. I really lucked out - they transferred all but one of my classes (it was a basic algebra class). It really varies from school to school as to what credits they will and won't transfer. It's actually kind of funny. I transferred to an out of state school and met all of the general education requirements with the classes I had already taken. If I had transferred in state (to the school that most people transfer to from the cc I went to), I would have had to take an additional 7 classes to fill the gen ed requirements.

Anyways, if you look at the website of the colleges your friend is thinking about transferring to, it should have information about what classes they will transfer. Also, although this isn't something I had to do, if you want to appeal their transfer report (what classes they are and are not transferring) you will most likely have to provide them with the syllabus for each class you want to appeal... so I would tell your friend to keep the material from their classes until they have their transfer report - just in case.

I didn't take any of the pre-med pre reqs at cc, so I can't help you there. Good luck :luck:

I just saw your last post.... I don't have any advice, but just an fyi - just because you have an AA, not all 4 year colleges will take that as filling the gen ed requirements... so you may have to take additional classes, plus whatever classes you are taking for your major.

As far as the 120 credits go, most schools have a minimum number of credits you have to take towards your major at their school. That doesn't mean 120 though. I can't really remember what it was at my school, maybe 40? It varies from school to school.

I personally have met many medical students that went to CCs. I go to a community college, I wouldn't trade my CC education for a damn thing. I tutor O-chem to a couple of UCI students =]. My CC is one of the top few in the nation though, or so i have been told.

I personally have met many medical students that went to CCs. I go to a community college, I wouldn't trade my CC education for a damn thing. I tutor O-chem to a couple of UCI students =]. My CC is one of the top few in the nation though, or so i have been told.

CCC, El Co, or SMC?

I did all my pre-reqs at a community college except for Physics I and II and O-chem II. I still got into an MD school and I'm waitlisted at another one. It's probably better to do them at a university but as long as you can maintain your grades at the university level some colleges might not frown upon it too much.