community college vs. 4 year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Seahawks22

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am graduating in december from a 4 year university in WA state after returning from a 4 month study abroad program. I would like to start taking my pre-reqs but I am debating between doing them at the 4 year i attended and moving back there or staying in my hometown and working for a dentist and taking them at a CC. does anyone have any thoughts on this or think one way is better than another??

Members don't see this ad.

There are some dental schools that frown on doing prereqs at community colleges. UCSF I know really dislikes it, and I'm sure other schools don't look favorably on it either.

Their websites will always tell you what max you can do at a CC, but the fine print that may be invisible is usually, if you can possibly do it at a 4 year, di it at a 4 year.

djeffreyt said:
There are some dental schools that frown on doing prereqs at community colleges. UCSF I know really dislikes it, and I'm sure other schools don't look favorably on it either.

Their websites will always tell you what max you can do at a CC, but the fine print that may be invisible is usually, if you can possibly do it at a 4 year, di it at a 4 year.

well said :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
djeffreyt said:

OMG....is this true?? UCLA and UCSF are my top choices...and i took
all of my pre-reqs at cc. so now my chances are gone?? :confused:

keibee82 said:

My vet took her prereqs at a cc, and she said she got into UF's vet school, which is a very competitive school. Every one knows vet school is the hardest school to get into because there is so few of them. As long as you do well on the DAT, that's all that matters. It really justifies your GPA from a community college. Sure, there is some teachers who aren't all that great at a cc and give really easy tests, but there is also some at the universities as well. If you do well on your upper level science classes at the university, then it shows you have the ability to do well at either a cc or a university. Those are my thoughts anyway.

my cousins friend took his premed prereqs at a CC and now hes a professor at the University of Minnesota medical school.

keibee82 said:

although not every school looks at where you took your prereqs in the same way, my perception (and that means it's not a fact) and what I've heard is that UCSF and also UCLA (haven't heard it as much but still heard it) isn't fond of people who took ALL their prereqs at CC.

I'm not saying minnesota is like this, or Nova, or UF, or NYU, or Tufts, or anyone else. I've heard it specifically with the two UC schools, and heard the suggestion from other ADCOMS at places like UNLV, and Boston that you shouldn't take ALL the classes at CC or at least keep similar grades in upper division courses at a 4 year to show you have what it would've taken to keep the same scores at a 4 year.

djeffreyt said:
although not every school looks at where you took your prereqs in the same way, my perception (and that means it's not a fact) and what I've heard is that UCSF and also UCLA (haven't heard it as much but still heard it) isn't fond of people who took ALL their prereqs at CC.

I'm not saying minnesota is like this, or Nova, or UF, or NYU, or Tufts, or anyone else. I've heard it specifically with the two UC schools, and heard the suggestion from other ADCOMS at places like UNLV, and Boston that you shouldn't take ALL the classes at CC or at least keep similar grades in upper division courses at a 4 year to show you have what it would've taken to keep the same scores at a 4 year.

The key word in this response is all .