Community College vs. Four Year State University (Unique Situation)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jeremmed77

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
During my last two years of high school, I obtained 75 credits from a local community college (Thirty Minute Drive) through dual enrollment. Next I will be spending four semesters (65 Credits) at a top fifty university and graduating two years after high school. Since I do not have a lot of money, I am commuting three hours per day on a train to get there.

Once I graduate with the degree, I want to take two more years of prerequisite courses at the local community college (About 55 more credits) OR at a state university that is a fifty minute drive away. The community college has better class hours, is cheaper, better professors (In My Opinion), smaller commute time, closer to home, AND is willing to offer me a tutoring work study position. The negative is that medical schools may not like the fact that I spent so much time at a community college (A Grand Total of Around 125 Credits if I Go there after Graduation).

-2 years and 50 credits community college
-1.5 years and 65 Credits private four year university
-2 years and 55 credits at community college OR state school

My question is what would you do? Would you give up the benefits of the community college for the state school? Would medical schools make a big deal out of taking a ton of credits at a community college?

Members don't see this ad.

During my last two years of high school, I obtained 75 credits from a local community college (Thirty Minute Drive) through dual enrollment. Next I will be spending four semesters (65 Credits) at a top fifty university and graduating two years after high school. Since I do not have a lot of money, I am commuting three hours per day on a train to get there.

Once I graduate with the degree, I want to take two more years of prerequisite courses at the local community college (About 55 more credits) OR at a state university that is a fifty minute drive away. The community college has better class hours, is cheaper, better professors (In My Opinion), smaller commute time, closer to home, AND is willing to offer me a tutoring work study position. The negative is that medical schools may not like the fact that I spent so much time at a community college (A Grand Total of Around 125 Credits if I Go there after Graduation).

-2 years and 50 credits community college
-1.5 years and 65 Credits private four year university
-2 years and 55 credits at community college OR state school

My question is what would you do? Would you give up the benefits of the community college for the state school? Would medical schools make a big deal out of taking a ton of credits at a community college?

Ok, this is only the view of ONE school, but I'd take their advice (this was taken from the VCU SOM FAQ Section):

Are community college classes accepted as prerequisite course credit?
They may be, but the Admissions Committee generally expects students to complete all prerequisite courses at a four-year undergraduate institution.
http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/admissions/md/faq.html#q11

^ Depends on the University.
I know U of Miami, UF, and FIU accepts (pre-req) credits from certain CC's. Broward, Santa Fe, MDC.

Members don't see this ad :)
^ Depends on the University.
I know U of Miami, UF, and FIU accepts (pre-req) credits from certain CC's. Broward, Santa Fe, MDC.

Although they accept it, it is generally looked down upon as far as I know. Personally, I don't see the difference between an education from a CC and a university. Although a CC may not cover all of the content, a CC is just as thorough as a university. This of course is my personal opinion and not those of an admissions committee unfortunately :\.

Although they accept it, it is generally looked down upon as far as I know. Personally, I don't see the difference between an education from a CC and a university. Although a CC may not cover all of the content, a CC is just as thorough as a university. This of course is my personal opinion and not those of an admissions committee unfortunately :\.

There are many schools that you don't have to worry about though. For example, I emailed Texas tech, and they said it's totally fine as long as you fufill the course requirement.

Obviously there are many schools that don't care as much and schools that do. This is where it comes down to applying smart and emailing specific schools so you don't waste your money applying there.

What about if you're at a CC in California? Would most med schools care in that case?

What about if you're at a CC in California? Would most med schools care in that case?

Maybe since most Cali schools are hard to get into. Email every single school's admission and ask your question, they will respond.

You can always apply OOS to a lot of less competitive M.D schools and D.O schools on the safe side if you don't want to wait another year if the application cycle fail.

Maybe since most Cali schools are hard to get into. Email every single school's admission and ask your question, they will respond.

You can always apply OOS to a lot of less competitive M.D schools and D.O schools on the safe side if you don't want to wait another year if the application cycle fail.
I'm just asking this because in California if you want to transfer to a university for a major such as Biology for example you're required to complete at the CC what the university would consider as a course equivalent before transferring (which basically means you complete most if not all of the lower division classes at the CC) and as a Biology major and more specifically as a science major you are literally forced to complete what are typically the pre-med requirements before you can transfer so how is it possible to overcome this?

I'm just asking this because in California if you want to transfer to a university for a major such as Biology for example you're required to complete at the CC what the university would consider as a course equivalent before transferring (which basically means you complete most if not all of the lower division classes at the CC) and as a Biology major and more specifically as a science major you are literally forced to complete what are typically the pre-med requirements before you can transfer so how is it possible to overcome this?

Hmm... honestly not sure. I'm not from there, the only thing i can say is apply elsewhere when it comes time.

I think a way some cali students overcome that would be ppl who attend OOS schools but have cali residency and then apply back home to cali med schools, so I'm sure the ppl OOS take all there pre-reqs/courses at the university lvl i would assume

Yea I am in the same situation but I think as long as you do well in your classes and good MCAT majority of schools won't hold it against you. Three of my other friends who also went to my CC all got in Havard, Loma Linda and USC (this guy can't really be used as a data point since he is 4.0 all the way) so you don't have to worry too much. Besides what can we do? It is what it is and I explained it on secondary when asked.

Hmm... honestly not sure. I'm not from there, the only thing i can say is apply elsewhere when it comes time.

I think a way some cali students overcome that would be ppl who attend OOS schools but have cali residency and then apply back home to cali med schools, so I'm sure the ppl OOS take all there pre-reqs/courses at the university lvl i would assume
Thanks for your response but I'm not asking this question specifically in regards to med schools in California I just meant in general how would med schools look down upon you for taking pre-med requirements before transferring to a university if you're forced to so you cam transfer? Anyone have any idea? Has anyone ever taken pre-med requirements at a CC and if so what did schools you applied to have to say about it?

Thanks for your response but I'm not asking this question specifically in regards to med schools in California I just meant in general how would med schools look down upon you for taking pre-med requirements before transferring to a university if you're forced to so you can transfer? Anyone have any idea? Has anyone ever taken pre-med requirements at a CC and if so what did schools you applied to have to say about it?

That I do not know.

I was always under the impression that if you do some at a CC and do advanced courses at a university your pretty much set, because you've proven that you can handle advanced courses at uni level.
Anyways, how do florida schools react to about 40 credits (1st year) at a uni?

I was always under the impression that if you do some courses at a CC, then advanced courses at a university, you are pretty much set, because you've proven that you can the uni level courses.
Also, how do florida schools react to about 40 credits (1st year only) at a CC, then the rest at a uni?

I did 55 credits at Broward, and I transferred to NSU.

Some will care a lot, some will be bothered only a little. I think it largely depends upon your overall/science GPAs, MCAT score, and ECs. If they are all stellar, then I think you will be okay and will get in somewhere. You should at least try to take a few of your courses at a 4 year though.

It depends on the school. You can easily spin it to your advantage in an interview (if asked about the CC credits.) Tell them you had to start out small because of lack of funds, etc, but that you were determined to get to university and you did. Avoid the schools that you know are unfriendly towards CC credits. Go for the ones that look at the overall picture.