Community college?

rothguy

2+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2017
  1. Non-Student
    Needing some advice on future plans for school. I'm a senior in high school right now debating on whether or not to attend my local 4 year right away or go to community college first and transfer after two years. I've read some older posts about how this can look bad to med school adcoms and I'm wondering if this still holds true today. I've saved enough to be able to put myself through 2 years at a cc but I'm just not sure if it's a preferable alternative to a full 4 year.

acbakshi

5+ Year Member
    Apr 9, 2016
    1. Pre-Medical
      Needing some advice on future plans for school. I'm a senior in high school right now debating on whether or not to attend my local 4 year right away or go to community college first and transfer after two years. I've read some older posts about how this can look bad to med school adcoms and I'm wondering if this still holds true today. I've saved enough to be able to put myself through 2 years at a cc but I'm just not sure if it's a preferable alternative to a full 4 year.

I went to community college for two years, transferred to a university, and completed all my prereqs for medical school at a community college after I finished my undergrad because I was a psych major. I was accepted to 2 medical schools, so far. Just my experience, but as long as you maintain a high GPA, I don't think it matters if you transferred from a community college.

Last edited:
      Reactions: 1 users

AttemptingScholar

2+ Year Member
      Apr 1, 2016
      1. Pre-Medical
        Transfering from community college to four year is fine. It's people who go to a 4 year, but over the summers or whatever take popular premed courses (especially hard weeders like orgo) that will get hurt. There's a difference between being fiscally responsible and trying to take the easiest version of classes as a GPA buff, and med school adcoms will see that difference.

That being said, there is a perception (regardless of its truth) that classes at a CC are easier. To be safe, I'd recommend taking at least one course in each of the prereq departments at the four year--biology, chemistry, physics, English, psych/soc, math after your transfer. Or play it safe like @acbakshi and just take all of them at the four year.

Reactions: 1 user
        About the Ads

acbakshi

5+ Year Member
        Apr 9, 2016
        1. Pre-Medical
          Transfering from community college to four year is fine. It's people who go to a 4 year, but over the summers or whatever take popular premed courses (especially hard weeders like orgo) that will get hurt. There's a difference between being fiscally responsible and trying to take the easiest version of classes as a GPA buff, and med school adcoms will see that difference.

That being said, there is a perception (regardless of its truth) that classes at a CC are easier. To be safe, I'd recommend taking at least one course in each of the prereq departments at the four year--biology, chemistry, physics, English, psych/soc, math after your transfer. Or play it safe like @acbakshi and just take all of them at the four year.

I did terrible in high school and didn't prioritize academics, so I didn't have much choice in attending a CC then transferring to a University. I also had no idea what I wanted to do as a career, so I majored in psych thinking I would have options (LOL). I worked full time, volunteered, and did many EC's which ultimately led me down the path of medicine. Unfortunately, by the time I set my mind on medical school, I had graduated and realized I had many prereqs to complete. I essentially did an informal/DIY postbac at a CC. I felt that I had the opportunity to learn more by taking the prereqs at a CC because it was a full semester compared to a quarter system which sped through the material and it was difficult to approach a professor in a class of 300 compared to 30. If I had known that I wanted to be a physician, I would definitely taken my prereqs much earlier, but still at a CC. Overall, it has been a journey getting to this point. Again, I agree that it is fine to transfer from a CC, as long as you do well in all your classes, regardless if it is a CC or a 4 year uni.

Last edited:

aformerstudent

probationary status 4life
          Removed
          Mar 7, 2017
          1. Medical Student

That would be a very wise move. The fact that you are thinking about it that way shows that you are smart.

vm26

15+ Year Member
            Oct 4, 2002
            West coast
            1. Attending Physician

I started at cc. Small class sizes made it a lot easier to do well. Tuition was also relatively low. If you continue to do well at your 4 year school and on the MCATS, I doubt that cc resume will be held against you

Dylanation

Oct 2, 2017
              Houston
              1. Pre-Medical
                There is nothing wrong about attending a community college. Medical schools all across the country accept applicants who have attended a local community college. Now, when you take your advanced science courses, those are expected and preferred to be taken at the university level. But this is usually the case when people transfer after two years. Just like anywhere else, you are expected to excel in all your courses. Tuition and cheaper and you can easily get your pre-reqs out the way. I wouldn't fret over it. Good luck.

rothguy

2+ Year Member
                Oct 15, 2017
                1. Non-Student
                  There is nothing wrong about attending a community college. Medical schools all across the country accept applicants who have attended a local community college. Now, when you take your advanced science courses, those are expected and preferred to be taken at the university level. But this is usually the case when people transfer after two years. Just like anywhere else, you are expected to excel in all your courses. Tuition and cheaper and you can easily get your pre-reqs out the way. I wouldn't fret over it. Good luck.

Are there med schools that don't accept community college? That automatically turn down applicants if they see this?

aformerstudent

Removed
                  Mar 7, 2017
                  1. Medical Student
                    Are there med schools that don't accept community college? That automatically turn down applicants if they see this?

Why don't you complete a lot of the degree credits during those two years and then finish your pre-req's when you transfer? Some med schools won't take the community college credit but that shouldn't stop you from attending community college if it keeps you from accumulating excess debt.

What major do you want to pursue?

rothguy

2+ Year Member
                    Oct 15, 2017
                    1. Non-Student
                      Why don't you complete a lot of the degree credits during those two years and then finish your pre-req's when you transfer? Some med schools won't take the community college credit but that shouldn't stop you from attending community college if it keeps you from accumulating excess debt.

What major do you want to pursue?
                      Not quite sure yet, if I decide to continue on the pre-med route it'll probably be biology.

Dylanation

Oct 2, 2017
                      Houston
                      1. Pre-Medical
                        There are some medical schools that don't accept community college credits. However, I would expect you to talk to your academic advisor before moving forward so they can tell you directly if your state medical schools accept CC credits or not. Usually you are fine but there are exceptions. Your academic advisors will usually be able to tell you if credits can be transferred or not. It would also help for you to do your own research as well.

Sent from my LGUS997 using SDN mobile

QueenJames

Membership Revoked
                        Removed
                        5+ Year Member
                        May 16, 2013
                        1. Medical Student
                          CC... hands down.

Unless you had a full ride to a 4 year.... then I'd say go with the 4-year.

CC is much cheaper, smaller class sizes, and you can get to know your professors better for LORs.

I was granted 6 interviews (or 5.. i don't remember). Took all of my pre-reqs at a CC too.

As long as you keep your GPA high, and transfer where you will do well and keep that GPA high is all that matters.

GPA and MCAT are the two numbers that make or break you. Don't let either of those go down!

Schools will take a 3.7 from somebody who went chico community college and transferred to a state college over a 3.4 from a 4-year UC Berkeley/ Stanford/ UCLA if everything else was the same. Mark my words. Trust me. My class is filled with kids from top notch UCs and privates.

It is all a number's game.

Sprinkle in a few long-term ECs and write a solid personal statement and apply early.... you will be fine.

Mad Jack

Critically Caring
                          7+ Year Member
                          Jul 27, 2013
                          4th Dimension
                            I went to community college for two years, transferred to a university, and completed all my prereqs for medical school at a community college after I finished my undergrad because I was a psych major. I was accepted to 2 medical schools, so far. Just my experience, but as long as you maintain a high GPA, I don't think it matters if you transferred from a community college.
                            +1

aformerstudent

Removed
                            Mar 7, 2017
                            1. Medical Student
                              Not quite sure yet, if I decide to continue on the pre-med route it'll probably be biology.

I wish I could go back to your age man and redo things that way.

Whatever you do, DO NOT accumulate excess undergraduate debt. Society will tell you lies about college. College is simply a money making scheme. These days everybody has a college degree and it means nothing actually. It's what you do after college that counts.

Unless you are someone who has acceptances to Ivy League institutions, do not waste your time or money on any other name brand schools and absolutely do not go by the US News & World Report rankings. I heard that schools pay them money to influence rankings. Pick a decent school that has the lowest cost and that will be the smartest move you ever make.

And I am for Ivy League institutions not for the education but for the networking.

Good luck.

rothguy

2+ Year Member
                              Oct 15, 2017
                              1. Non-Student
                                @Goro , could I ask how you personally view the community college pathway? If it truly doesn't matter to adcoms I'll most likely end up at a cc, but this is still stressing me out.

There are some medical schools that don't accept community college credits. However, I would expect you to talk to your academic advisor before moving forward so they can tell you directly if your state medical schools accept CC credits or not. Usually you are fine but there are exceptions. Your academic advisors will usually be able to tell you if credits can be transferred or not. It would also help for you to do your own research as well.

Following up on the schools that don't take cc credit, are there a lot of them or is it a relatively small amount? I'm pretty sure most Minnesota schools do take cc credit, but I'd like to make sure I'm not limiting myself to just a few states.

acbakshi

5+ Year Member
                                Apr 9, 2016
                                1. Pre-Medical
                                  @Goro , could I ask how you personally view the community college pathway? If it truly doesn't matter to adcoms I'll most likely end up at a cc, but this is still stressing me out.

Following up on the schools that don't take cc credit, are there a lot of them or is it a relatively small amount? I'm pretty sure most Minnesota schools do take cc credit, but I'd like to make sure I'm not limiting myself to just a few states.

You can look on MSAR to confirm, but I did not see many schools that would not take CC credits.

Dylanation

Oct 2, 2017
                                  Houston
                                  1. Pre-Medical

I'll be honest, I have yet to hear about a medical school to not accept CC credits. Nowadays, it would be almost absurd for a medical school to not accept CC credits.

Doing a quick online search, I found a list made in 2015 from @doc toothache that lists medical schools that accept CC credits. Among the list are schools that do not accept CC/AP credits, schools that accept but only a limited amount and schools that mix them into the overall pool. This list is close to being 3 years old so I would reference it with a grain of salt. There is a pretty good chance that the medical school you're interested in DOES accept CC credit. Most schools will have it listed on their website if they accept CC credits or not and if they don't, ask. Adcoms become more lenient or strict on their recruitment process frequently so I wouldn't take a chance of not asking.

**EDIT**The attached filed does NOT contain information about ALL medical schools within the United States. Like previously said, you're better off asking someone from the school to be safe.

Attachments

• 2015 CC-AP and DS Admission 5-23-15 2.pdf
                                      90.6 KB · Views: 6

Goro

Lifetime Donor
                                    10+ Year Member
                                    Verified Expert
                                    Jun 11, 2010
                                    Somewhere west of St. Louis
                                    1. Non-Student

CC-> 4 year school is fine. My own kids will be doing that.

About the Ads
                                      This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                                      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                                      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                                      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                      7. This thread is locked.