Community College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chris Hansen

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does going to a community college for freshman year hurt your chances to getting into med school?
I am taking university-level courses.

Members don't see this ad.

I took CC classes in high school instead of AP because my hs didn't offer them....they have to go on amcas so they showed up...no one ever said anything about it, so I would assume it didn't hurt me (although again it was in HS not college)***These were also not any of the required classes!

Chris,

I would have to say no. If you take courses at a Community College, do well, and transfer to a four year University and do well..you'll be fine. I took my lower division courses at City College of San Francisco and then transferred to Berkeley my junior year. I kicked ass at CCSF and did the same at Berkeley, so I think adcoms assumed that I would have kicked ass if I went straight into Berkeley.

I am one of those nontrad applicants who finished high school and spent his next few years inside of a bong, or so goes the allegory. When I get my **** together and realized what I wanted to do..financially the best opportunity for me was to do well in a jc for two years and then transfer..CCSF's chemistry department kicked ass but their physics and bio was weak (imho). Some people think community colleges are really easy and for the most part, they are..however, there are classes that I have taken at 4 year institutions that have been a hell of a lot easier than some of the courses I took at CCSF.

Some schools question grades from community colleges, others don't (UCSF commented on my grades at CCSF and mentioned that they were aware of the fact that CCSF has a really strong chemistry department). You just have to do well wherever you go..Oh yes, and a high mcat will definitely assure the adcom that your community college A might have been a University A, given the opportunity. Just kick ass and you'll see.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently at a C.C. too trying to wrap up all my general education and med school prereqs. I'm going crazy with volunteer work, work and all other manner of stuff too, but for med school? Nope.

I decided that in order to prove to med schools I wasn't any ol SOB that went through a CC, that I'd have to get into one of the top schools. I'm lookin at Rice, Cornell, WashU, and Chicago.

But hey, if that doesn't work out I can go to Miami or UF no prob.(I'm in FL) But, if I do end up at UF or Miami, no big deal really. It's just a matter of kickin ass after transferring and getting a superb MCAT score.

p.s. I love being motivated to succeed now at something! :p (heh, "nontrad" applicant like souljah, only I got a purty GED to show for my utter stupidity and actions in HS) And.. Community Colleges rock!

hey guys!

going to a CC will not hurt at all and as a matter of fact will save you alot of dinero..

i went to a CC for first 2 years got an A.A. and then transfered to MIAMI.

as long as you keep the grades up in junior and senior year there is no problem.
also kick ass in the MCAT and all doubt goes down the drain.

us non-trads had to do it this way but we will get to the same destination.

take care! :D

Miami hurricanes rule college football!

Go canes!!!

Im attend the City University of N.Y (City College). This is a four-year Uni. It is the first CUNY college of N.Y. They have an excellent PPS program (pre-professional study) and 70% of pre-med students get into Med. school, which is well above the national 42%!
They do not just had us a sheet with classes and say "Just take these and you'll be fine".
So no, if you attend a C.C that has lots of help and programs for pre-med students, you'll do just fine! And they do respect your GPA, even if it is from a public (C.C) college! :D

And don't just sit around doing classwork and studying. Contrary to many CC students' beliefs, there are usually many activities and organizations to participate in. And volunteer to of course.

Extra work impresses med school AND more prestigious undergrad schools.... that would in turn also impress med schools.

Example: Im a freshman at my CC. Honors Programs, Phi Theta Kappa(cc version of Phi Beta Kappa, my chapter is very active), volunteer Math tutorin, volunteer w/ red cross, one of the founding members of Red Cross Youth Initiative/resources/whatever committee for my county, Hospital volunteer, and an Ambassador for my CC which means I help out at events, give tours, schmooze with all the faculty(know the president and deans well)

But of course, don't go overboard to where you can't maintain your grades. Only negative thing I have to say about my CC is that it's a CC thus research opportunites just sorta/kinda are not there. :( hehe