Community College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kimm100569

Pseudo Angel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
They do include those grades in the overall GPA. That's why you have to submit ALL transcripts to AMCAS. I'm not sure why people think that Community college is a joke or something but those are real grades that people work hard for. Not saying that this is how you feel, but there has been a lot of assumption that comm college grades may not be included in the overall GPA and that is just a false assumption. Like I said, you have to submit every grade from any college you attended. Hope that halfway clarifies your questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
which campus are you going to be attending? And what comm college do you attend if you don't mind me asking?

Where did you go Kimm100569???

im going to a community college and im probably going to be finishing up all my pre-reqs by next year. community college is no joke. people think its easier. but it all comes down to who your professors are. if med schools didnt count the grades from community college in the overall gpa that would be great because then i wouldnt have to worry about getting all A's lol.

Schools on the east coast tend to think community colleges are at the bottom of the barrel, but on the contrary, a few classes I took there were the hardest in my life!
It really sucks that I can't apply to good schools like BU because community colleges aren't good enough for them.

Hey kim100569, which U of M campus are you going to be attending?

Don't know what you asked but
1. Same information, just no competition (no curve). Sometimes the professor will turn out to be a douche and the class will be harder.
2. Most Medical schools accept CC credit
3. It will look bad if you attend a university and take CC credit
4. It won't look bad if you take it during the summer to save money.
5. No

the only thing that i have heard that looks bad is when you transfer and still continue taking classes at a j.c. i am a transfer student, currently attending a state school in california, went to a couple junior colleges for various reasons and i will attest that classes at state/uc (at least in california) are way harder then jc courses. because i got so many schools around my area i have taken classes at two state/uc, and 4 community colleges....jc is easier

Its a shame that this is still a debate. Its kind of a polarizing topic, sort of like MD v. DO. I think its important for people to understand one of the key functions of community colleges in the US. They very much serve the function of giving people the ability to "try" college for a very small amount of money. That being said, the majority of people who take classes or attend community college will not earn a degree and will not finish their course of study.

I will share my own personal experience regarding the topic. In my case, I was really given no other option than to attend community college to start. I had excellent grades, but due to some poor decisions my senior year of high school, I got "expelled until further notice," and that pretty much killed any chance I had at going straight into a 4 year university. In hindsight, I always wish I would have not made that decision, but we play the hand we're dealt. All of that being in the past, I attend a great university now and get excellent grades. So CC's can also act a 'second chance' for people who made poor decisions in high school. No one is immuned from making poor decisions.

Anyway as far as my experience during my CC years. It largely depended upon the professor teaching the course. The majority of faculty at a CC are adjuncts and not tenured professors. I can count the number of PhDs which taught my courses on one hand. Many of the sciences at my CC were taught by adjunct MDs who owned private practices. The vast majority of "Professors" at the CC i attended had Masters degree's and nothing more. You really cannot expect a very challenging curriculum from someone who has only taught the course one time and most likely will not teach it again after that. I think that this accounts for the disparity in difficulty that people have been speaking about, as we all know the texts used are often the same.

CC's definately have their place in the higher education system. No one should ever snub their nose at someone who chose to attend one either for academic or for financial reasons. Just as no one should snub their nose at someone for attending a state school vs. an Ivy (although many do). While these kind of inconsequential details may matter at the present, once you enter the workforce they are largely ignored and only useful in penis envy matches. Thats my opinion on it.