Community College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dianeL

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan to take some post-bacc science classes at a local community college while working. I need to pay bills so I can't really quit my job. Is community college classes considered less qualified by med school admission? Is it necessary for me to do a full time post-bacc pre med program?

Members don't see this ad.

No, one does not have to do a full-time post-bacc pre-med program. I would say individuals are successful taking a class at a time or being full-time.

I never thought about taking the pre-med classes at a community college. Pre-med advisors and admissions directors I talked to said 2 things about where to enroll. One, take the classes at a 4-year college (continuing education "night school" is fine). Second, don't take them at a school below the caliber of your undergrad institution. Better to take at high-caliber school. I considered Northwestern and Harvard, ending up taking classes at both.

I would strongly suggest finding a 4-year college. I understand financial burdens may prohibit this possibility. Admissions committees will not want to see community college pre-med classes, but I also think a solid explanation for having them may off-set that fact. If you must take them at a CC, then a 4.0 is a must and I think schools will look more closely at your MCAT science sections.

As a post-bac, your biggest advantage is the story you have to tell. If you have a strong academic background from a strong undergrad, perhaps CC classes aren't the end of the world. If you have a mediocre background, pre-med classes at a strong 4-year college can really enhance your application. You must honestly look at your chances for acceptance and see what next steps will best improve those chances.

To mpm235,

How are the courses at Northwestern, can you really get straight A's in these courses?

Thanks,

Jady

Members don't see this ad :)
I can understand the advise to take postbacc classes at a 4 year University, but I don't quite understand the gist of NOT taking postbacc classes at an institution of lower caliber than your undergrad. What if you went to an Ivy League and cannot possibly afford to take classes (one at a time) or even full-time at the same place, or even same caliber of school. Because they DO take advantage of you financially because they have the "name" or reputation to back them up. On the other hand, I think that a state university would provide the same education, if not some better professors who can TEACH, as oppose to do research - which most higher caliber institutions are notorious for. So, I think maybe you are saying the same thing, two different ways, when you say don't take postbacc classes at a lower caliber school than your undergrad, and don't take them a community colleges....but there needs to be a clarification there, because some people just don't have stacks of cash or loan options lying around to take classes at Northwestern and Harvard....

Don't get me wrong, I went to an Ivy League school too, so I know how impressive that looks on applications, etc, but it all depends on how u did as an undergrad, and where you intend to apply to med schools, on what type of postbacc program/institution you can choose.

From my personal experience, it seems that med schools look down on community college courses.

I was thinking about it too... but I don't suggest it unless it's a last resort.

Well, for those of us in CA, there is little choice...we are relegated to either the CSU (4-year) system or community colleges to do our post-bach work. (if we don't want to spend an arm/leg for the private post bach programs). Most of the UC schools don't accept second bachelor's students. (except for UCI and a program at UCSD) I went to UCSD as an undergrad, and took my science courses 12 years ago. However, I need to retake them (they are too old) and will be going to a CSU in the bay area in order to do that. I *hope* this won't reflect negativelly on my app.... I, too, was told to stay away from the 2-year colleges though. (although I do know of two people who got in with their prereqs done there!)

Roselee

I've asked the premed advisor at my "higher caliber" undergrad institution and she told me not to waste my money on post bac classes at UPenn, Johns Hopkins or Columbia when the teaching is just as good and much cheaper at a state school. In fact I called UCSF med school and the admissions official there told me the same thing, as long as it's a 4-year institution, the GPA will be viewed the same.

Originally posted by paco
I've asked the premed advisor at my "higher caliber" undergrad institution and she told me not to waste my money on post bac classes at UPenn, Johns Hopkins or Columbia when the teaching is just as good and much cheaper at a state school. In fact I called UCSF med school and the admissions official there told me the same thing, as long as it's a 4-year institution, the GPA will be viewed the same.

The only thing I'd suugest is to contact the med schools you're interested in and see what they say about doing a formal post-bacc or enrolling as a non-degree student somewhere. My pre-health advisor told me that if it's between a post-bacc and completing a non-degree, do the post-bacc..

But that's just what she told me for advice. Take everything you hear with a grain of salt.

Do not take any classes at community college unless you are certain that you will receive all A's. You don't have to go to a high caliber institution for post-bacc. The main goal of post-bacc is to improve grades and to be more prepared for med school. However, most medical schools would like to see your transcripts from one of the better institutions and not community college.

My advisors at Penn (where I went as an undergrad) told me that it did not matter where I completed my premed courses here in NYC. I took the classes at Hunter College a CUNY school and had a good experience.

Good Luck!
-J

Originally posted by AndrewWKRules
From my personal experience, it seems that med schools look down on community college courses.

I was thinking about it too... but I don't suggest it unless it's a last resort.

I went to UCLA and then did post bacc classes at a local jc. I just got accepted, and I have two interviews coming up at ranked schools next month.

It doesn't matter. Just do your best. Good luck.

it matters to some schools and not to others.

I had a few classes here and there from jc's... and I've had WashU tell me straight out that they're rejecting me based on "too many classes having been taken at junior colleges,"... mind you, it was only 4 classes, none of which were pre-med requirements (microecon, logic, intro sociology, abnormal psych). All of my pre-meds were taken at my undergrad institution or at my post-bacc institution.

So some schools will care, and others won't... but better safe than sorry. I would still recommend going to post-bacc route as opposed to JC.

is it okay to transfer to a 4 year to complete upper division classes?

On one hand you necro'd an 11 year old thread, on the other you obviously tried to use the search function.

From Goro's [Faculty at a DO school] excellent guide:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...arted-goros-guide-to-the-app-process.1075272/
  • Some med schools accept CC credits, some don't. There's no rhyme nor reason to it. Again, MSAR is useful in telling you who does, and who doesn't take the coursework. Here's a rule of thumb.
    *If you go to a CC and then to a UG school, that's fine.
    *If you go to a CC as a non-trad to get the pre-reqs, for for grade repair as a DIY post-bac, that's also fine.
    *If it appears that you're avoiding your UG school's rigorous weeding courses by taking them at CCs, then that's going to raise some eyebrows.

The general consensus on this forum is that grade repair should be done at a 4 year school if at all possible.

You're fine if you do 2 years at a CC and finish at a 4-year, but some schools will have problems if you took your prereqs at a CC.