Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Community Eye Health

Discussion in 'Ophthalmology: Eye Physicians & Surgeons' started by diosa428, May 7, 2007.

1. diosa428

diosa428 SDN Angel

Hi everyone,

I go to Duke Med, and for our third year, we have to do research, pursue a dual degree, or do some other type of scholarly activity related to medicine (and we have to write a thesis at the end of the year on our project). I'm interested in ophthamology, but I also have a strong interest in public health and international health. Most of the ophtho research going on at Duke (and most other places) seems to be more along the lines of basic science research. However, I noticed that the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine has a MSc program in Community Eye Health - http://www.lshtm.ac.uk/prospectus/masters/msceh.html. The program seems really interesting to me, but I'm not sure that I would be granted admission b/c it seems to imply that you need to be an MD already, although the admissions requirements are kind of vague. So my questions are:

1.) Does anyone know of ophtho research going on (in the US or elsewhere) that is more along the lines of public health, rather than basic science?
    2.) Would it be less advantageous to do research in a public health area or pursue this dual degree (if possible) rather than doing benchwork in ophtho when it comes time to apply to residency? Duke seems to prefer that the students interested in ophtho stay here to do research, so they can get to know the department and get good letters, but I don't really want to stay in Durham for third year if I can get out of it.

Also, not sure if this matters, but we do our rotations during second year, rather than third year, so I will have completed the typical mandatory rotations, and will have done an ophtho rotation by the time I would be a third year.

Thanks for any information that you have.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.