Community (floater) pharmacist job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmD227

Reaction score
So I received my pharmacist license about a week and a half ago. I've been searching for a job ever since to no avail. How can I become a floater pharmacist for a chain? Is there someone I need to contact or do i just wait until a job is listed online?? I'm so stressed, I did not realize it would be this hard finding a position. I live in Michigan btw and am looking for a position in Metro Detroit. Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
The newly licensed new grads were hired about a year ago. All metro areas are saturated. You'll have to look 2-3 hours out.

Reactions: 3 users
Lol where have you been?

Members don't see this ad :)
You`ve been looking for a job for a week and half?
You better get used to it.
I wish you luck but it`s tough out there for us pharmacists, and yes, it`s the connection that matters the most. It sucks.

Reactions: 2 users
It's a long story but I had a job offer before I even graduated. Unfortunately, for reasons out of my control, it didn't work out. I don't even know what do to anymore. Do any of you have an tips or do I just keep searching online until hopefully something opens up?

Apply to anything within a two hour radius, see if any friends have dm contact info. It's rough out there. Metro areas are tough.

Reactions: 1 users
You might have more chance online if you search for wide radius with extremely flexible availability. I`ve been working part time for an independent pharmacy 20 hours a week for past 8 months and it`s extremely hard to find other positions to fill my time. Some positions posted online has 50 to 80 applicants. Your resume/CV need to be shining bright with gold plate for anyone to notice unless you have connection within.

Here's how I found a job : told the recruiters at my school event that I was willing to relocate anywhere Alaska included for a job. Got an offer 3 days later for a position. Yes I had to relocate 5 hrs away but got a job though. That was 2 years ago when I graduated

Here's how I found a job : told the recruiters at my school event that I was willing to relocate anywhere Alaska included for a job. Got an offer 3 days later for a position. Yes I had to relocate 5 hrs away but got a job though. That was 2 years ago when I graduated

Did you land in a metro area or are you out in the country?

It took me roughly 3 months to find a solid part time position (18-40 hours weekly) & 5 months to land something full time in a metro area in a saturated state but I was also extremely lucky with my timing. I'm also not currently working in retail pharmacy. Applying statewide is your best bet.

lol 3-5 threads all about floating position and no jobs. Welcome to saturation hell.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
lol 3-5 threads all about floating position and no jobs. Welcome to saturation hell.

The new grads today were fully warned about the job market, can't say I feel that sorry for them.

Reactions: 5 users
Still baffles me how there still people applying to pharmacy school. Every single pharmacy school in the nation should go on hiatus. No new graduates for a whole year or two.

Still baffles me how there still people applying to pharmacy school. Every single pharmacy school in the nation should go on hiatus. No new graduates for a whole year or two.

I`ve been checking SDN pre-pharmacy forum just out of curiosity during the last month.
It`s hopeless. The pre-pharm students are both clueless and hopeful as they ever can be. Nobody is stopping them from being a pharmacist.

Some of them even sound down right ******ed. I don`t wanna disrespect them but some of them really do.. and all of them get accepted into pharmacy school with no exception. No ****.

I`ve been checking SDN pre-pharmacy forum just out of curiosity during the last month.
It`s hopeless. The pre-pharm students are both clueless and hopeful as they ever can be. Nobody is stopping them from being a pharmacist.

Some of them even sound down right ******ed. I don`t wanna disrespect them but some of them really do.. and all of them get accepted into pharmacy school with no exception. No ****.

There really needs to be a sticky job saturation thread on that forum. They need to know what the true expected job outlook is and up to date news about all the corporation mergers, stores being closed, all hours and pay cuts... It's a real disservice to them not having a front page thread about it. Sure there are some ******ed people on there but a lot of them are really bright and show great academic prowess. They are just so consumed with school and extra curriculars that something as simple as researching job prospects and outlook four years down the road is a foreign concept to them

Last edited:
There really needs to be a sticky job saturation thread on that forum. They need to know what the true expected job outlook is and up to date news about all the corporation mergers, stores being closed, all hours and pay cuts... It's a real disservice to them not having a front page thread about it. Sure there are some ******ed people on there but a lot of them are really bright and show great academic prowess. They are just so consumed with school and extra curriculars that something as simple as researching job prospects and outlook four years down the road is a foreign concept to them

I'm going to rebump my dissuasion post.

This is only the beginning my friend. It's going to get a lot, lot worse in the next 5 years as we undergo full saturation.

So I received my pharmacist license about a week and a half ago. I've been searching for a job ever since to no avail. How can I become a floater pharmacist for a chain? Is there someone I need to contact or do i just wait until a job is listed online?? I'm so stressed, I did not realize it would be this hard finding a position. I live in Michigan btw and am looking for a position in Metro Detroit. Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

Did you try detroit proper? Can't imagine anyone wanting to be a pharmacist there.

Pre-pharms use two angles of denial.

1) Denial that the job market is really that bad. They might try to use anecdotes "but my friend's cousin as a great job so there are jobs out there." They might also try to discredit us by saying "pharmacists are just trying to keep the jobs to themselves."

2) More commonly, denial that they themselves will be affected by saturation. They think they're luckier, smarter, harder working, more talented, better at networking, better looking, etc. than their peers. They will "stand out" and be the ones to land the jobs.

Update: I just accepted a staff position at Walgreens. Not in the best area but I'll take what i can get. Saturation is very real and it's just going to get worse unfortunately.

Update: I just accepted a staff position at Walgreens. Not in the best area but I'll take what i can get. Saturation is very real and it's just going to get worse unfortunately.

Congrats! It must have been a tough 3 months. Pay off those loans ASAP.