community health centers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

new mun

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI every one,
I have a question regarding working in community health centers, so for fresh dentist graduate, what is the advantages and the disadvantages of working in community health centers, is it good place to start? how much do dentists make when they work there?
please any information are really helpful.
Thank you very much

Members don't see this ad.

please anybody knows about dentist jobs in community health centers let me know, any information can be really helpful.
Thanks,

You will become very proficient at large direct restorations and extractions. The patient pool can't afford much fixed work. Pay isn't at the level of private practice dentists, but it is guarunteed in most cases regardless of production. If the clinic is federally funded (FQHC), the administrators/providers must adapt certain practice philosophies to comply. Your job is dependent on grants and state/federal money, so take that as you will. Typically, you will see a high volume of patients, of which a large portion are medicaid, for the clinic to be sustainable. There is less autonomy over practice, you generally use less expensive materials, but are also free of headaches that come from management if you are solely a provider. If the health center is near a dental school, you may have the opportunity to mentor students that rotate through the clinic. Just like private practices, these safety net clinics all operate differently. Find one, volunteer, and see if it's for you. I'll definitely be incorporating it into my career in some form.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been working in a Community Health Center for nearly 30 years. For about half that time, I also worked PT in my own private practice as well. Working at a CHC can be rewarding and interesting. Clinical activities are largely dependent on the location and demand for services. Often rural locations may offer more due to a lack of providers in the area. Our 6 attending dentists (who have a combined working experience of over 135 years) provide a lot of QUALITY restorative care, removable prosthetics, preventive services, emergency care and oral surgery. In addition our residents provide endodontic care, fixed prosthetics, perio surgery and more complicated oral surgery. While the salary may be less than corporate dental offices can provide, CHCs provide a decent benefit package and freedom from "selling" dentistry. Additionally, if you can find a position you may qualify for tax-free loan repayment of up to 30K a year.

Working in a Community health center is an amazing experience with many advantages over your career in other types of health care organizations.