Community Programs Anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chickendoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just thought I would shoot the thread out and see what happened...

I am applying to IM because I enjoy the outpatient medicine I do in my military job. I don't need a high stress/malignant program that will get me into my cards/gi fellowship, at the same time I don't want to end up in a program where I know more that than the majority of attendings. I was wondering if anyone had any gouge on great community programs. Any takers?

Members don't see this ad.

Exempla Saint Joseph in Denver is a nice community program if you just want to do primary care. Private attendings can be PITA and Q3 ICU call sucks but by and large it's a nice place. Small program, residents are basically one big family, very good teaching (including one of the best electrocardiographers in the nation), a lot of specialties in the hospital plus an opportunity to rotate through University of Colorado specialties.

GW primary care internal medicine and John Hopkins Bayview sounds perfect for you! ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the heads up, will look at those programs. Never even looked at any JHU programs...still gives me the heebiejeebies to think about it....
Anyone have opinions on
Baystate in Springfield, MA
Vermont
Bassett in Cooperstown, NY
or Carolinas Medical Center?

a great community program is oakwood hospital in dearborn, michigan.... absolutely fantastic program director and great faculty staff.... imho this is probably the best community program with a university feel .... you see great pathology and well trained after 3 years to go into outpatient medicine.....alot of people overlook this place but something to consider.....

chickendoc said:
Just thought I would shoot the thread out and see what happened...

I am applying to IM because I enjoy the outpatient medicine I do in my military job. I don't need a high stress/malignant program that will get me into my cards/gi fellowship, at the same time I don't want to end up in a program where I know more that than the majority of attendings. I was wondering if anyone had any gouge on great community programs. Any takers?

Students at my med school rotate through the Cooperstown program. I have heard mixed reviews. Many say it's a great environment with happy residents, but some of my more intense classmates said they felt the quality of the residents was sub-par.

Also, I don't know what areas of the country you are considering, but I have heard great things about some of the community programs out west, including the following:

Santa Clara Valley (CA)
Cal Pacific Med Ctr (CA)
Virginia Mason (WA)
Providence St. Vincent (OR)
Providence Portland Med Ctr (OR)
Legacy Emanuel (OR)

There was a thread on here awhile back talking about the Kaiser programs in Cali and it sounded like some people thought highly of them as well.