PhD/PsyD Community psychology criticized?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmohaulic

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a I read many different articles about psychology, I notice that there's a lot of question and criticism about community psychology, why is that?

I know one reason I read is because it said traditionally psychology is focused on the study and treatment of the individual, not the larger group. Also, community psychology involved a lot of prevention work and not just treatment.

But my question is, doesn't the communits directly impact human behaviors? And does counseling and clinical psychology focus on prevention as well?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't think anyone here has seen that criticism. It seems odd folks keep thinking there is criticism when the profession (or at least, this sampling of the profession) doesn't seem to hold that opinion.

See,
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/community-psychology-criticism.1191550/
Don't think anyone here has seen that criticism. It seems odd folks keep thinking there is criticism when the profession (or at least, this sampling of the profession) doesn't seem to hold that opinion.

See,
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/community-psychology-criticism.1191550/

I think those 2 posters are the same person.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I get together with my clinical psychologist buddies we make fun of the community psychologists all the time. You should hear the jokes we make about the I/O psychologists.
Seriously, why would there be much criticism of one field of psychology from another field of psychology? I think you are misreading or misrepresenting the literature. I imagine they are saying that more people study clinical psychology and put more money into it and that community psychology is important too and more people should study and fund this area.

Reactions: 1 user
I was trained as a clinical-community psychologist and have never heard this criticism. If there is any criticism of community psychology, it is the inordinate amount of time and resources spent on defining theory and constructs. Look up the literature on "empowerment" for an example. And to be honest, I think this criticism comes mostly within the community psychology community, i.e., debate of theory vs. praxis/practice. Also, "community psychology" is a lot more nuanced as a field, as it includes a number of subfields within it (e.g., liberation psychology). I think a good place to get started on more information about community psychology is the website for the Society for Community Research and Action. Take a look at the faculty represented there, some of the programs they are affiliated with, research interests/pubs, and you will get a more nuanced understanding of what community psychology actually is.

Maybe the poster is confused about critical psychology? I know that can be a subfield of community psychology, and if English is not a native language I could see how using the jargon-y academic version of the word critical could be confusing. @Pharmohaulic, maybe you could link some of the literature you're referring to to give us a more clear picture? I'd be interested in reading it! My Ph.D. is in Counseling Psych, but it's heavily influenced by ideologies and principles from community and critical psychology.

Maybe the poster is confused about critical psychology? I know that can be a subfield of community psychology, and if English is not a native language I could see how using the jargon-y academic version of the word critical could be confusing. @Pharmohaulic, maybe you could link some of the literature you're referring to to give us a more clear picture? I'd be interested in reading it! My Ph.D. is in Counseling Psych, but it's heavily influenced by ideologies and principles from community and critical psychology.
Critical psychology? Haven't heard of that one before so I googled it. Sounds like one of the professors I had for history of psychology. I actually enjoyed his constant challenging of all of our premises and sacred cows in the field and his critical stance although I felt he was a bit one sided in his approach. Many of my cohort despised him as they just wanted to be taught the "facts"and not constantly challenge their thinking about the field. I don't think he realized how anxiety provoking his approach was for the first year doctoral students who already felt so unsettled or maybe he did and he was trying to inoculate them. I actually think the former was more likely though. He was a bit full of himself and his perspective which was another reason they didn't like him.

I haven't posted in a while, but I'm actually leaning toward critical psychology these days, hahah. Critical psych is definitely far outside the mainstream and has received tons of flack, for various reasons, like its focus on philosophical arguments (e.g. social constructionism, Marxism, etc) and qualitative over quantitative methods, and its (often seemingly unending) critique of fundamental assumptions like smalltown said. You could say it's the new humanistic psychology in some ways, sort of branches off from it. Wouldn't be surprised if that's what OP is thinking about.

Where'd you go for your Counseling Psych degree? I'm currently trying to figure out where to do my PhD and I'm interested in this stuff. I'm probably going to stay at my current institution, where I'm working on my LPC, and just do their research/teaching/non-clinical Psych PhD which is humanistic/transpersonal/critical in orientation, but I'm interested in other options as well.

Last edited:
I haven't posted in a while, but I'm actually leaning toward critical psychology these days, hahah. Critical psych is definitely far outside the mainstream and has received tons of flack, for various reasons, like its focus on philosophical arguments (e.g. social constructionism, Marxism, etc) and qualitative over quantitative methods, and its (often seemingly unending) critique of fundamental assumptions like smalltown said. You could say it's the new humanistic psychology in some ways, sort of branches off from it. Wouldn't be surprised if that's what OP is thinking about.

Where'd you go for your Counseling Psych degree? I'm currently trying to figure out where to do my PhD and I'm interested in this stuff. I'm probably going to stay at my current institution, where I'm working on my LPC, and just do their research/teaching/non-clinical Psych PhD which is humanistic/transpersonal/critical in orientation, but I'm interested in other options as well.

I'd be curious to know this too (which counseling programs incorporate critical psych perspectives).

th