6ft3dr2b

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2002
nj
Visit site
Status
hey everyone,

I hope you all are enjoying your summer. As most of you know, in medical school there isn't a lot of time to do much outside of school. However, I would like to be more active with community service. For this upcoming year, I'm the community events chairperson for our student council. I was just wondering if any of you had some ideas for students to participate in (besides health fairs) that will not take up a lot of time.

thanks!

contulusa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 31, 2005
Status
Pre-Medical
6ft3dr2b said:
hey everyone,

I hope you all are enjoying your summer. As most of you know, in medical school there isn't a lot of time to do much outside of school. However, I would like to be more active with community service. For this upcoming year, I'm the community events chairperson for our student council. I was just wondering if any of you had some ideas for students to participate in (besides health fairs) that will not take up a lot of time.

thanks!

You can do the typical Ronald McDonold House Breakfast or Contact a homeless shelter downtown and serve them breakfast. Other ideas include getting involved with a local arbor organization through your local government and provide the man power to plant trees. Other ideas include tutoring at a local school by dedicating time to read to them during your breaks. You can also hold a blood drive or contact local children's hospital to see what supplies they need. Also make homemade cards and bags and stuff them with candy and deliver them at valentine's day. You could play bingo with elderly residents or have a dance for the elderly residents.

I was President of a large Pre-Med Honor Society that was constantly doing service.

BUT IF YOU WANT A REAL BADASS Event...don't know how big your school is but you can contact Habitat for Humanity and with the help of your SGA and School can assemble a modular home and send it down to New Orleans.

I tried to set this up in Mobile but I ran out of time. I think it could be a phenomenol event. You can do it during Rush/Homecoming/Student Orientation.

What you do is basically assemble a modular home whic H4H can send down here and assemble. It would require a bit of planning but if you want to go down as having the event of the year this would be it.

Funding could be a problem unless you get habitat to donate supplies and the house. If not you can donate a substantial portion and get habitat to pick up the rest. I think this event is doable if you have the planning done right.

Split your committee up with contacts. Make sure you get the local news involved and speak with the admin.

If you want to brainstorm PM ME. I could help you if you need logistical support.