Community Service in Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UAAWolf

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there any point in me volunteering at food shelters or retirement homes in terms of boosting my residency app? I'm only asking because I try to do this stuff anyways a few times a year to give back, but I realized today I won't be doing any medical missions or medical community service stuff.

I remember comm service being important in med school apps...does it carry the same weight in residency? Sorry if this is stupid to ask.

Please hold the replies saying "OMG you're just volunteering to make a good application!". I'm not saying that at all

Members don't see this ad.

Is there any point in me volunteering at food shelters or retirement homes in terms of boosting my residency app? I'm only asking because I try to do this stuff anyways a few times a year to give back, but I realized today I won't be doing any medical missions or medical community service stuff.

I remember comm service being important in med school apps...does it carry the same weight in residency? Sorry if this is stupid to ask.

Please hold the replies saying "OMG you're just volunteering to make a good application!". I'm not saying that at all

You absolutely should continue doing things like that if you already enjoy doing them. They are a part of your life and life shouldn't stop in med school.

As far as if they will boost your application - you definitely want to have SOMETHING on your application. Community service is great. Now if you take it a step further and work with the local Public Health to get some physicians into those homeless shelters once a week and recruit med students to help see the patients (did this at my med school) - that would be EVEN better.

Follow your passion, do what you have time for. Good things will follow when it comes time to apply for residency.