community service on albany app

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ookluh

Don't Listen to Me
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just filling out the Albany secondary and realized.. that I have no real community service to fill in! They have specific sections for "[FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica]Voluntary Health Related Community Service" and ".[FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica]Voluntary Non-Health Related Community Service".

If I would have to ultimately submit the application with both of these fields blank, should I just not bother at all? All of my clinical experience has been paid employment, and I'm not so sure that volunteering in research would be considered community service. Think I still might have a shot?

Members don't see this ad.

If I would have to ultimately submit the application with both of these fields blank, should I just not bother at all? All of my clinical experience has been paid employment, and I'm not so sure that volunteering in research would be considered community service. Think I still might have a shot?

I am in a similar situation. I've done clinical volunteering and I have service-related employment (teaching), but I have no recent non-clinical volunteer experiences. I went ahead and submitted because I have a specific interest in Albany (its bioethics institute).

Paid clinical employment can certainly give you rich insights into what it's like to work with patients. If Albany is mainly interested in knowing that you've had meaningful, long-term experiences with patient care, then you may well be fine. On the other had, if Albany wants to see evidence of a holistic commitment to community service in general, then we may both be hurting.

Thanks for the reply - I suppose I will go ahead and submit it.. I've already answered everything else on the application and sent the letters. I know if I didn't apply and subsequently didn't get in anywhere, I'd be left wondering.